Summer Associate Position

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dale

Summer Associate Position

Postby Dale » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 pm

I read an article that stated . . .Everyone agrees that a summer associate position is pretty crucial to securing a job after graduation. My question is, would a 1L summer internship with a federal or district court judge qualify as a summer associate position? If not, please explain.

kalvano

Re: Summer Associate Position

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 pm

No. Summer associate refers to working for a firm your 2L summer, for money, with the expectation that they will extend an employment offer at the conclusion of the summer program.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Dale wrote:I read an article that stated . . .Everyone agrees that a summer associate position is pretty crucial to securing a job after graduation. My question is, would a 1L summer internship with a federal or district court judge qualify as a summer associate position? If not, please explain.

As said above, no. However, the crucial summer is your 2L summer.

Dale

Postby Dale » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Thanks for the responses. I guessed that was the case, now I know. I assume the judicial internship will be helpful to secure a 2L SA.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Meh. It really doesn't matter too much what you do 1L. But it certainly won't hurt, and you will have fun.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Dale wrote:Thanks for the responses. I guessed that was the case, now I know. I assume the judicial internship will be helpful to secure a 2L SA.

It's more of a neutral factor. Your school and your grades are all that really matters.

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 am

nealric wrote:It's more of a neutral factor. Your school and your grades are all that really matters.

T-14 with [only] median grades. . . how does that play in the "really matters" category? Hoping for the best here!

Dale

Postby Dale » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:06 am

Double post.
Last edited by Dale on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 am

Dale wrote:
nealric wrote:It's more of a neutral factor. Your school and your grades are all that really matters.

T-14 with [only] median grades. . . how does that play in the "really matters" category? Hoping for the best here!

First semester at median at t14 isn't terrible but you're going to want to step it up a bit. Get in the top third, and you should be in good shape.

Return to “Legal Employment”