Asking RA prof for a student reference

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Asking RA prof for a student reference

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:30 pm

I interviewed for a spring semester RA position with a professor a few days ago and just received an email stating that I was selected. I'm pleased; however, I didn't have the professor for class (the job was posted on the school's job bank), I hadn't met him/her before the interview, and I don't know anyone who knows him/her well (I'm a 1L). This normally wouldn't bother me too much, except that the prof was rather rude throughout the interview (showed up late without apology, spoke sarcastically/critically of colleagues, etc.). Further, it seems suspicious that a 1L was chosen, given that a 2L/3L would probably be a bigger asset to the prof and one would think that 2Ls/3Ls would jump at the chance to earn some easy money over the semester--unless, as I suspect, the prof is a jerk.

That brings me to my question: before accepting, can I ask the prof for a reference of a past RA? I'm leaning toward just accepting the position, working for a few days and simply quitting if I feel that the prof's attitude isn't worth the hourly wage, but the project is time-sensitive and I'd hate to cause the prof to miss a deadline.

TB12

Re: Asking RA prof for a student reference

Postby TB12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 pm

Please tell me this is a joke.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:40 pm

TB12 wrote:Please tell me this is a joke.

OP here. It's not. Care to elaborate?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Professors ARE pushy and rude because there is no incentive for them to be nice to new underlings whom they can load up with grunt worth. We're young and worth a dime a dozen. For the first couple years of our career it's expected we will be abused by professors and partners like you've described. Then we gain experience and become actual contributing members of society, which means they treat us better. It's just paying your dues.

TB12

Postby TB12 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Most profs have huge egos. They're not going to take kindly to a 1L making them get references to prove that they're worthy of your summer plans.

Return to “Legal Employment”