1L summer job problem: I don't know how to do anything.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheFutureLawyer

Re: 1L summer job problem: I don't know how to do anything.

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:50 am

Since OP seems to have gotten answered, maybe you guys can help me out:

So, I really should have thought of this earlier, but what kind of references are employers, specifically state judges, looking for? The only thing I can think to put is a state legislator who I interned for a few years back during UG (in a different state) and the two UG profs who did my LOR. Thing is, I haven't kept in contact with them. Grades haven't been released yet, and I know I didn't do well anyway, so law profs seem out of the question.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:07 am

I dunno why everyone is being so hard on OP. I am a 2L and I am nervous about starting my summer because I don't know shit either. I barely know my way around Westlaw and Lexis and never got any good at legal research because both my school and 1L summer job had unlimited West access. Sure, I can write a little bit, but I am nervous about doing it for reals. And I also don't have much exposure to technical jagon, so I may be clueless at times when people are talk about issues.

But like a lot of people have said, employers expect this. So hopefully it all works out and I don't make an ass out of myself.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 am

romothesavior wrote:I dunno why everyone is being so hard on OP. I am a 2L and I am nervous about starting my summer because I don't know shit either. I barely know my way around Westlaw and Lexis and never got any good at legal research because both my school and 1L summer job had unlimited West access. Sure, I can write a little bit, but I am nervous about doing it for reals. And I also don't have much exposure to technical jagon, so I may be clueless at times when people are talk about issues.

But like a lot of people have said, employers expect this. So hopefully it all works out and I don't make an ass out of myself.

I mean it is worrisome, but I think your last sentence sums up what I assume about places that employ law students. I could understand more nervousness for 2L jobs since there is the assumption that you've already had some experience (although it seems that their assumption is that you don't really know anything from people I've talked to) and that there is a possible long term position riding on performance.

That being said, unless OP is being hyperbolic, it seems a little neurotic to be hesitant about applying to jobs.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:59 pm

c3pO4 wrote:epic bragging flame. u wish the 4.0 kids were actually like this

so successfully tapped into a pervasive insecurity that no one even realizes; A+

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 pm

I just want to point out that the consistent theme of this thread that employers don't expect anything from 1L's is being heavily exaggerated. Frankly, that wasn't my experience at all with my 1L summer internship at a USAO. They expected us to be very versed in legal research in particular, and their expectations for our writing were similarly high. And they weren't particularly patient either. I've heard the same thing about firms. Although they don't expect you to be at the partner level in terms of proficiency etc., many of the firms do expect you to have the same ability as a practicing associate. I suggest reading books like the elements of legal style, writing in plain English for lawyers, and to take as many westlaw/lexis training sessions as possible.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just want to point out that the consistent theme of this thread that employers don't expect anything from 1L's is being heavily exaggerated. Frankly, that wasn't my experience at all with my 1L summer internship at a USAO. They expected us to be very versed in legal research in particular, and their expectations for our writing were similarly high. And they weren't particularly patient either. I've heard the same thing about firms. Although they don't expect you to be at the partner level in terms of proficiency etc., many of the firms do expect you to have the same ability as a practicing associate. I suggest reading books like the elements of legal style, writing in plain English for lawyers, and to take as many westlaw/lexis training sessions as possible.

lolololololololo

Postby 071816 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:12 pm

sundance95 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just want to point out that the consistent theme of this thread that employers don't expect anything from 1L's is being heavily exaggerated. Frankly, that wasn't my experience at all with my 1L summer internship at a USAO. They expected us to be very versed in legal research in particular, and their expectations for our writing were similarly high. And they weren't particularly patient either. I've heard the same thing about firms. Although they don't expect you to be at the partner level in terms of proficiency etc., many of the firms do expect you to have the same ability as a practicing associate. I suggest reading books like the elements of legal style, writing in plain English for lawyers, and to take as many westlaw/lexis training sessions as possible.

lolololololololo

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah...

I'm just going to apply and let them find out on their own. I'll act as pitiable as possible and hide from my boss to avoid being fired.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah...

I'm just going to apply and let them find out on their own. I'll act as pitiable as possible and hide from my boss to avoid being fired.

I'm already waiting for the "failed to socialize with colleagues" and "did not seek out work" or "was unavailable when needed" comments on the performance review.

Return to “Legal Employment”