Teaching law with shitty grades. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Teaching law with shitty grades.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:29 am

Hello all,

So 1 semester into law school, I have decided that I want to teach law. I am not interested in practicing law. The only problem is, I go to a shitty school (T2) and have shitty grades.

I'll obviously have to try to pull my grades up, but career-wise, how can I go about pursuing a teaching career? And is all hope lost due to my grades?

Any advice appreciated.

MrKappus

Gold

Re: Teaching law with shitty grades.

Post by MrKappus » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 am

What next poster said. Edited for late-night cranky douche-itude.
Last edited by MrKappus on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:49 am

If you really want to teach, maybe you could do high school or community college? Law school is out, but there are alternative ways to teach.

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:42 am

You could go back to graduate school for a PhD if you want to teach something other than law. If you don't mind spending a lot more time and money in school, that is.

Or you could get a real job. 8)

taxguy

Bronze

Post by taxguy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:53 am

Since I know a number of law school professors, here is my take:

Frankly, your chances of teaching law in the future are significant reduced for several reasons. First, many law schools only hire faculty, regardless of accomplishments, that have attended top tier law schools . Moreover, most law schools want their professors to have done very well in law school. If you check the faculty bios, most have been on law review and have graduated with honors from their respective law schools.

However, If you can make partner somewhere and becomes an established lawyer in your community, you just might be able to teach part time at a law school. I guess if you write a number of published articles and publish some books, you might have a chance to teach as some law schools.

Moreover, although your chances of teaching at a law school are slim, you would be able to teach at colleges. I have taught business law, tax law etc at various colleges ( undergraduate accounting programs) even though I didn't attend a top law school. Most colleges want lawyers to teach their business law courses regardless of what law school the professor might have attended.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:11 am

omninode wrote:You could go back to graduate school for a PhD if you want to teach something other than law. If you don't mind spending a lot more time and money in school, that is.

PhD programs should be paying you.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 am

My high school business law teacher was median at a TTT. Take from that what you will. In his defense, he was one of the chillest bros I ever knew.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:24 am

taxguy wrote: However, If you can make partner somewhere and becomes an established lawyer in your community, you just might be able to teach part time at a law school.
This is the only way you will become a law professor. Most of the adjuncts at my school are very successful lawyers in both private and public practice in their fields. Biglaw partners for corporate seminars, prosecutors teaching Trial Practice, Public Interest Lawyers teaching in their field. Most, however, are 15 years into practice at least.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:17 am

Law's out, but business law in a b-school or prelaw in a lower ranked poli sci program are still possible. See if your region has a continuing ed state school like UMUC, Charter Oaks, Excelsior, or Thomas Edison that will let you teach as an adjunct while in law school. Even teaching at Phoenix or Strayer would be helpful in pursuing that path.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:20 am

I don't think all hope is lost. I mean there are 200 law schools and once you get to the local TTT in a saturated state, I don't think its as hard as people are making it out to be. It's very difficult and extremely unlikely, but not as bad as it is. Another way to academia is to just keep writing extremely controversial shit, that you can sort of backup. There are several professors at big schools who didn't clerk or have honors, but managed to get famous by just writing lots and lots of bullshit.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

bad school and bad grades? Your best hope is some kind of community college teaching gig.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 am

conn09 wrote:I don't think all hope is lost. I mean there are 200 law schools and once you get to the local TTT in a saturated state, I don't think its as hard as people are making it out to be. It's very difficult and extremely unlikely, but not as bad as it is. Another way to academia is to just keep writing extremely controversial shit, that you can sort of backup. There are several professors at big schools who didn't clerk or have honors, but managed to get famous by just writing lots and lots of bullshit.
I feel as if this is bad advice.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 am

BEAST_mode wrote:My high school business law teacher was median at a TTT. Take from that what you will. In his defense, he was one of the chillest bros I ever knew.
Your high school had business law? :roll:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am

Br3v wrote:
conn09 wrote:I don't think all hope is lost. I mean there are 200 law schools and once you get to the local TTT in a saturated state, I don't think its as hard as people are making it out to be. It's very difficult and extremely unlikely, but not as bad as it is. Another way to academia is to just keep writing extremely controversial shit, that you can sort of backup. There are several professors at big schools who didn't clerk or have honors, but managed to get famous by just writing lots and lots of bullshit.
But it'd be fun to see happen, amirite?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
Br3v wrote:
But it'd be fun to see happen, amirite?
hahaha. pseudonym

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Community College. I don't know what the pay or job market is like, but teaching at community college seems like it would be the most relaxed/fun work environment you could ask for.

BEAST_mode

Bronze

Post by BEAST_mode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 pm

zanda wrote:
BEAST_mode wrote:My high school business law teacher was median at a TTT. Take from that what you will. In his defense, he was one of the chillest bros I ever knew.
Your high school had business law? :roll:
It was a senior year elective. We learned nothing about business law, and watched To Catch a Predator at least 10 times. We also had Criminal Law. My only memorable experience was a class trip to Attica. A heroin addict told us about killing his parents.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:52 pm

cinephile wrote:
omninode wrote:You could go back to graduate school for a PhD if you want to teach something other than law. If you don't mind spending a lot more time and money in school, that is.

PhD programs should be paying you.
Good point, didn't think about that. Just a lot of time, then.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:37 pm

seancris wrote:Community College. I don't know what the pay or job market is like, but teaching at community college seems like it would be the most relaxed/fun work environment you could ask for.
It is. It doesn't pay a whole lot, but you can get tenure with any advanced degree. So JD is fine. I think teaching full-time at a cc may make it really hard to move to a 4-year college later. Personally I think teaching at cc could be a very positive experience because of the students you work with and what you could do to help their careers/lives.

ETA: you can teach criminal justice and paralegal with a JD at cc. A regional powerhouse JD may be very good for teaching jobs in the region.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:23 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:I know of a guy who landed a tenure-track law teaching job this year (at a low-ranked law school), despite having pretty bad grades from a low T1 law school. He published his ass off, hustled to network within the academic sphere, etc. And even then, he was out in no-man's land for a little while. So it can happen.

As for whether OP can replicate that success, I think the odds are small. They are small for anyone who does not fit the traditional profile of YHSC, LR, PhD or high-end clerkship, lots of publishing, etc.

Now, if OP wants to teach as an adjunct, things change a little. But realistically you cannot get one of those jobs before building up subject-matter expertise (e.g., via a private practice).
hope.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”