Median at T50, clerkship possible?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Median at T50, clerkship possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:59 pm

For someone at median at a school between 40-50, is there any real possibility of getting a clerkship for 2L summer, after graduation, or maybe a few years out? If someone in the know could help out it would be appreciated!

MrAnon

Re: Median at T50, clerkship possible?

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 am

at the state court level, and I don't mean state supreme, yes. Local shitcourt judges always need people.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 am

so untrue
I know someone clerking for a rhode island superior court jduge.. BC Law review. 1/3 Gpa.

srfngdd6

Postby srfngdd6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am

cantabaout wrote:so untrue
I know someone clerking for a rhode island superior court jduge.. BC Law review. 1/3 Gpa.

top third and law review at BC is pretty different then being median at a school in the forties

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am

1) Anecdotal
2) BC Top Third + LR =/= Median at Lower T1

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 am

Isn't Superior Court a state court?

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am

I was suggesting that even state court judges may not want middling people from a T40-50.

I know 2 BC graduates at RI superior court - one was on LR, top 1/3; another was EIC of secondary journal

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 am

I'm not sure what your point is, but if anything, you are saying that OP needs to have much better grades than he has if he even wants a spot on the lowest rung state court in RI.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 am

its possible to find a job depending on where you are. NY and NJ seem to have tons of these spots. RI is much smaller and probably more selective.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am

another anecdote.

pre-ITE:

Mass court of appeals
UConn, LR, magna cum laude, with a V50 offer in hand.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 am

above is me.

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:34 am

this is why my impression of law clerks, state or federal, i've met is that they were all reasonably/very bright people.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 am

cantabaout wrote:this is why my impression of law clerks, state or federal, i've met is that they were all reasonably/very bright people.

You've never set foot in NJ traffic court have you?

cantabaout

Postby cantabaout » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 am

right ....

but aren't these positions getting more and more competitive?

I have heard of people clerking for state judges (a number of years ago) with very average credentials. But for the clerks whom I actually know they all have good grades.

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 am

Think of it this way, there's no clerkship you could get with crappy grades from a crappy school that's actually worth a year of your life to do. As for the 2L summer externship, sure, go nuts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
SBL wrote:Think of it this way, there's no clerkship you could get with crappy grades from a crappy school that's actually worth a year of your life to do. As for the 2L summer externship, sure, go nuts.

This.

OP here, I was afraid of this. Would my prospects be appreciably better after 3-4 years of in a small firm?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
SBL wrote:Think of it this way, there's no clerkship you could get with crappy grades from a crappy school that's actually worth a year of your life to do. As for the 2L summer externship, sure, go nuts.

This.

OP here, I was afraid of this. Would my prospects be appreciably better after 3-4 years of in a small firm?

Why do you want to clerk so bad? What level clerkship are you gunning for? Quite honestly, you are nowhere near competitive for any sort of meaningful clerkship.

And I would guess the answer to your most recent question is still no.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:

This.

No. Why would 3-4 years of shitlaw insurance defense possibly make you a more appealing candidate for a clerkship?

Federal clerkships (article 3) go to top students from top schools, almost always with journal experience. The next level down would be federal non-A3 clerkships (mag., bankruptcy) and state supreme courts (DE being the best, from what I hear.) These are also tough to get and well out of your range.

You might be in the running for a lower-court clerkship in some random state court, honestly I don't know. This might be fun, but from a professional standpoint, they're not a huge feather in your cap. If you're thinking you're going to get into the kind of clerkship that will advance your career appreciably, the sad truth is you're just not qualified. Start exploring other options.

thisbigolclub

Postby thisbigolclub » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 am

SBL wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:

This.

No. Why would 3-4 years of shitlaw insurance defense possibly make you a more appealing candidate for a clerkship?

Federal clerkships (article 3) go to top students from top schools, almost always with journal experience. The next level down would be federal non-A3 clerkships (mag., bankruptcy) and state supreme courts (DE being the best, from what I hear.) These are also tough to get and well out of your range.

You might be in the running for a lower-court clerkship in some random state court, honestly I don't know. This might be fun, but from a professional standpoint, they're not a huge feather in your cap. If you're thinking you're going to get into the kind of clerkship that will advance your career appreciably, the sad truth is you're just not qualified. Start exploring other options.

Not to sort of change the subject, but aren't state supreme court and magistrate clerkships both more difficult to get than bankruptcy clerkships?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:11 pm

This is purely anecdotal, but I was median at a bottom T50 school (non-board at a secondary journal) and I am currently clerking for a federal magistrate judge. So yes, it is possible. I'm not in a major city, so it might not be "prestigious" in the eyes of the folks who post on here, but the judge I work for is great and the work is pretty interesting. If you are really serious about clerking, consider applying to clerkships in rural cities.

Postby 20160810 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 pm

thisbigolclub wrote:
Not to sort of change the subject, but aren't state supreme court and magistrate clerkships both more difficult to get than bankruptcy clerkships?

Probably in some cases, but I imagine it generally depends on the state and the judge. The short answer is I really don't know.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is purely anecdotal, but I was median at a bottom T50 school (non-board at a secondary journal) and I am currently clerking for a federal magistrate judge. So yes, it is possible. I'm not in a major city, so it might not be "prestigious" in the eyes of the folks who post on here, but the judge I work for is great and the work is pretty interesting. If you are really serious about clerking, consider applying to clerkships in rural cities.

What was it that landed you this clerkship? Mediocre grades, mediocre school, and non-board of a secondary doesn't seem like federal magistrate material. I'm not trying to knock your credentials, I just imagine plenty of people with better resumes applied for the job as well. Did you have something on your resume or a previous relationship with the judge that allowed you to get the position? Just curious what you think did it for you.

Congrats though, sounds like you landed a good opportunity.

Return to “Legal Employment”