2 Quick Resume Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

2 Quick Resume Questions

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:05 pm

1) I'm in Texas, with split-summer SA positions. I've got one firm already lined up for half the summer...should I put that on my resume? Just the firm name and "Summer Associate, Summer 2012"? Or does that not look good to other firms I might apply to?

2) I think I have an article that is going to be published, but I don't have an issue number or cite yet...what's the appropriate way to list that on a resume?

snowpeach06

Re: 2 Quick Resume Questions

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 pm

1. Seems like it might look bad to list your summer 2012 position. You haven't worked there yet, and why would an employer want to hire someone who already has a job? Seems like its better for them to find out you already have a job after they've interviewed you and really like you.

2. You can put something like "will be published in the winter 2012 issue of whatever." Or publishing forthcoming or something.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:14 pm

kalvano wrote:1) I'm in Texas, with split-summer SA positions. I've got one firm already lined up for half the summer...should I put that on my resume? Just the firm name and "Summer Associate, Summer 2012"? Or does that not look good to other firms I might apply to?

2) I think I have an article that is going to be published, but I don't have an issue number or cite yet...what's the appropriate way to list that on a resume?

(1) Don't

(2) "Title" (forthcoming May 2012)

If you don't know the month, put the season (summer). What do you mean "you think" you have an article that's going to be published? Unless it has been confirmed, I wouldn't put it.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:15 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:1. Seems like it might look bad to list your summer 2012 position. You haven't worked there yet, and why would an employer want to hire someone who already has a job? Seems like its better for them to find out you already have a job after they've interviewed you and really like you.

That was my first thought, but split summers with two different employers are the norm in Texas. I'm unsure if it looks better that someone else (a moderately well-known midsize firm) wants me to work there, or better to leave it blank.

snowpeach06 wrote:2. You can put something like "will be published in the winter 2012 issue of whatever." Or publishing forthcoming or something.

Thanks. The website was frustratingly blank on this.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:What do you mean "you think" you have an article that's going to be published? Unless it has been confirmed, I wouldn't put it.

I haven't put it yet, and won't until it's confirmed, but I'm pretty damn sure.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:57 am

#1 is tough, but I'm leaning towards "include it."

First, firms are competitive, and they seem to want to one-up each other. Second, as you suggested, it shows that another firm wants you so you can't be that bad. It's similar to the "no unemployed lawyers need apply to this job" mentality. Third, including it and specifying whether it's for the first or second half of the summer will convey useful information to the firm. You will not be doing any favors for a firm that only has a half-summer program and doesn't find out you're unavailable until the screener; you're wasting time and money (unless you are willing to renege on the first firm for a better opportunity--then by all means, don't include it).

What does your CSO say (and why)?

(TBF, I have almost no firm experience, so this is just me speculating and trying to see the other side of the argument).

Return to “Legal Employment”