Top 17% SJU- What should i expect? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bball700

New

Top 17% SJU- What should i expect?

Post by bball700 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 am

Just recently received my first semester Grades. 3.5 GPA, top 17% percent of class at Saint Johns University . Anyone know if i would be able to pull a decent internship in my 2L summer if i maintain this GPA? Perhaps a law firm which pays 100K out the gate?

thexfactor

Silver

Re: Top 17% SJU- What should i expect?

Post by thexfactor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm

In the past pre ITE id say you are on the inside looking out. Nowadays, Id say you are on the outside looking in for 100k jobs. Prob 1/3 chance of getting something around 100k if you hustle.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

maybe 5% chance of getting a biglaw job. I'd really focus on smaller things though like immigration, slip n' fall shops. Many firms coming to St. John's want to see top 10% of even 5% I believe.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:39 pm

MrAnon wrote:maybe 5% chance of getting a biglaw job. I'd really focus on smaller things though like immigration, slip n' fall shops. Many firms coming to St. John's want to see top 10% of even 5% I believe.
Working off of --LinkRemoved--, I would assume the 7 clerks and and 41 people at 100+ lawyer firms are making in the 80-100k+ range. That works out to 16% of the class. Of course variations are possible (some of those clerks might be at local trial courts; some people might be at high-paying boutiques). If you're top 17%, that probably means you're right on the edge of where the sort of job you're looking for can be obtained. This is where your interview abilities, plus factors and geographic/practice preferences come into play big-time. Are you willing to move anywhere? Do you have strong ties to a plausible secondary market like Philly or Chicago? Are you interested in something like IP or bankruptcy? Do you have any plus factors like URM or WE?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:02 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:maybe 5% chance of getting a biglaw job. I'd really focus on smaller things though like immigration, slip n' fall shops. Many firms coming to St. John's want to see top 10% of even 5% I believe.
Working off of --LinkRemoved--, I would assume the 7 clerks and and 41 people at 100+ lawyer firms are making in the 80-100k+ range. That works out to 16% of the class. Of course variations are possible (some of those clerks might be at local trial courts; some people might be at high-paying boutiques). If you're top 17%, that probably means you're right on the edge of where the sort of job you're looking for can be obtained. This is where your interview abilities, plus factors and geographic/practice preferences come into play big-time. Are you willing to move anywhere? Do you have strong ties to a plausible secondary market like Philly or Chicago? Are you interested in something like IP or bankruptcy? Do you have any plus factors like URM or WE?
1. Its not 16% of the class. Its 14%. The clerks are much more likely to be state court clerkships that federal clerkships that feed to biglaw.

2. Some number of the group of 41 are only working as doc review temps in large firms. Could be 41 of 41. Could be 20 of 41. Could be 5 of 41.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:35 am

First of all, what is this "top-17%" BS? You're top-20%. I've never known firms not to use hiring cutoffs (stated or otherwise) that are multiples of 5. As for whether top-20% at St. Johns has a shot at a 6-figure firm job, the answer, unless you have some kind of X factor like family connections or maybe URM status, is no. I go to a top-25 school and people at the bottom end of the top-20% aren't getting those jobs. Sorry. But the good news is that you have one more semester to get your grades into the top-10% where you'll have a fighting chance, and, unlike most of your classmates, this is actually doable for you. Good luck.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Working off of [url]http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/graduate/law/career/general/placement.stj[/url], I would assume the 7 clerks and and 41 people at 100+ lawyer firms are making in the 80-100k+ range. That works out to 16% of the class. Of course variations are possible (some of those clerks might be at local trial courts; some people might be at high-paying boutiques). If you're top 17%, that probably means you're right on the edge of where the sort of job you're looking for can be obtained. This is where your interview abilities, plus factors and geographic/practice preferences come into play big-time. Are you willing to move anywhere? Do you have strong ties to a plausible secondary market like Philly or Chicago? Are you interested in something like IP or bankruptcy? Do you have any plus factors like URM or WE?
This is your first mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”