typo in email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Asleep

typo in email

Postby Asleep » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 am

I'm freaking out a bit. I spelled the name of the person i emailed confirming my interview incorrectly. This is where I need you all to tell me I'm overreacting and that sending another email correcting my mistake is dumb.

(or that I should email again, correcting my error)

mel2010

Re: typo in email

Postby mel2010 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:54 am

Usually I would say ignore it (don't make an issue out of a non-issue), but here maybe a quick sorry would be good. I only say that because it's their name, so they are:
-certainly going to notice it, and
-possibly going to be bugged by it.

Enjoy typing and re-typing an apology for like an hour! :lol:

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:01 am

Any other thoughts? Bumping because I should probably send this before I go to bed if I am going to

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 am

Only other thought is that if you're as undecided as you seem you shouldn't ask for more thoughts; if they agree with me you'll just have lost time and if they disagree then you've gotta decide all over again!

I wouldn't worry about it whether you do send something or not, but as someone who has one of those names that gets misspelled all the time I think I'd appreciate the recognition/correction. If it's a very common name and clearly just a finger hitting the wrong button situation, probably matters even less.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:10 am

You messed up, but sending an apology is even worse. If they bring it up, then you can apologize, or make a joke about it in person when you see them.

You seriously should not send a follow up email saying: "Sorry I spelled your name wrong."

The lesson is to spell people's names right in emails. This job is all about attention to detail. Theyll notice things like that and with the market flooded with good candidates, it can be the difference. When you make a mistake though, which can happen, you just have to move on,

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:19 am

If this were me, I'd think of a random question and call them to ask tomorrow. While youre on the phone, nonchalantly say you're sorry about spelling their name wrong

Asleep

Postby Asleep » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:20 am

Well, for better or worse I sent it a few minutes. Thanks to those of you that responded.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 am

Asleep wrote:Well, for better or worse I sent it a few minutes. Thanks to those of you that responded.

In the future, try not to send already-neurotic emails between 12:00-4:00 am until you've been hired.

lobolawyer

Postby lobolawyer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:56 am

MrKappus wrote:
Asleep wrote:Well, for better or worse I sent it a few minutes. Thanks to those of you that responded.

In the future, try not to send already-neurotic emails between 12:00-4:00 am until you've been hired.

This. Many lawyers sleep near/with their smart phones/crackberries. Receiving an email about their name being misspelled in the middle of the night might set off false alarms. I wouldn't risk it. And even if they don't receive it until tomorrow you will seem neurotic. If you were that worried, you should've just apologized/made a joke about it later on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:45 pm

I know this is over with but for my summer firm job I addressed the e-mail to the recruiter and called them a completely different name. I got the interview and the job, don't sweat it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 am

I made a mistake and put the wrong person's name in the "Dear _____" line in my cover letter (basically just forgot to change it from a different firm's recruiter while I was mass mailing). No one even noticed, or at least they didn't care. Not the recruiter, the OCI interviewer, or the 8-10 people who interviewed me during my CB who all had my packet of information right in front of them. Got the offer.

Yeah, you made a mistake. Don't do it again. I'm just telling you this because it is very possible no one notices or cares.

samsonyte16

Postby samsonyte16 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

I once got a job offer after misspelling the person's name in every email I sent him throughout the process. Whether you get the job will turn on your interview performance--at this stage they don't care about typos. Absolutely do not make any kind of reference to the typo going forward.

Return to “Legal Employment”