Legal CV

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NonTradHealthLaw

Legal CV

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:48 pm

A senior partner requested I provide a CV for him to circulate with the goal of finding summer projects independent of a fellowship. I have a CV from my previous life; 10 pages of manuscripts, presentations, etc., and I have a 1Lesque one page resume condensing my work/academic life. Which is more appropriate to send? I can't imagine anyone outside science and academia cares about the titles of manuscripts, but I also don't want to short shrift myself if highlighting these accomplishments is appropriate...or am I simply misunderstanding the meaning of legal CV in the law firm world?

Agent

Re: Legal CV

Postby Agent » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm

I haven't had to do this before, but here are some thoughts:

If the senior partner requested a "CV," I wouldn't send them the one-pager. I'd probably trim down the ten-pager.

I'd definitely keep the titles for publications and maybe a sentence or two describing each funded grant. I'd also consider omitting individual titles for posters and presentations-- instead, I'd try grouping them together by topic, technique, or era (maybe a sentence or two for each group).

If you have a ton of publications or grants, maybe try clusters there too? In any event, I'd be sure to include the titles for journal publications.

HTH. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say and what you end up doing.
Last edited by Agent on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Considering my number of publications, I am interested in this as well.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Interesting suggestion re: clustering. I'll have to ponder how to do that. I'll probably aim at a two-pager, using et al liberally in author bylines, and eliminating a lot of the legally-irrelevant stuff.

Return to “Legal Employment”