SA or Judicial Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA or Judicial Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:40 pm

1L at MVP and finished ~top 15%... should I pursue a SA gig in a secondary market (where I have no intention of working) or pursue a judicial internship in the market that I actually want to work? Not even sure if I would be competitive for a firm gig, but I figure it's best to explore my options right now.

I have no "obvious" ties to the market where I want to work, so the judicial internship would help with that. Would probably set me back 5-10k though.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Re: SA or Judicial Internship

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L at MVP and finished ~top 15%... should I pursue a SA gig in a secondary market (where I have no intention of working) or pursue a judicial internship in the market that I actually want to work? Not even sure if I would be competitive for a firm gig, but I figure it's best to explore my options right now.

I have no "obvious" ties to the market where I want to work, so the judicial internship would help with that. Would probably set me back 5-10k though.
How would a summer judicial internship set you back 5-10k? Unless you made a point of living and eating in downtown NY/Chi/DC for an entire summer, that would be a very high cost of living for 3 months in law school. Also, does your school have a summer funding program for PI/Gov work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 pm

alright so the judicial internship would set me back closer to 3-5k... and yes, my school does fund public interest gigs

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:alright so the judicial internship would set me back closer to 3-5k... and yes, my school does fund public interest gigs
A lot of public interest funding from schools does not include working for judges, FYI. Might want to double-check your school's policy.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:00 pm

In this case, take the SA if it's with a national or regional firm (more then one state) because even in a new market, firms will value that sort of signal of quality. If you don't have the SA yet or it's SmallLaw, then take the judicial internship because you may get funding and it will at least look normal and maybe help with geography come OCI. But, get something soon. A number of federal judges have long since finished hiring. Also, forget about the money part since kids 50 school ranks down from you would pay for an interview with a federal judge and you MVP degree w/top 15% should ensure future earning power if you just play the game like you're supposed to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:alright so the judicial internship would set me back closer to 3-5k... and yes, my school does fund public interest gigs
A lot of public interest funding from schools does not include working for judges, FYI. Might want to double-check your school's policy.
This.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:13 pm

blowhard wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
This.
Looking at their websites, it would appear the MVP schools don't fund summer judicial internships; odd because my DCNG does. Still think it's worth the hit if it helps you maintain the mold of a normal high-performing T10 student at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:17 pm

not really too worried about not getting money for the judicial internship as it would be a valuable experience even without $

more so just worried about establishing ties, and i dont want to send the wrong message by working in a market where I have no long term interest

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not really too worried about not getting money for the judicial internship as it would be a valuable experience even without $

more so just worried about establishing ties, and i dont want to send the wrong message by working in a market where I have no long term interest
Then go for the judge. At this point your GPA and school are fine, so it's just not doing anything that would spook an employer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not really too worried about not getting money for the judicial internship as it would be a valuable experience even without $

If you can get an SA, then you should take it and make the money. Even if its in a market that you don't want to work in long term. You'll get to make money and, at worst, come out of the summer at least in no worse situation financially.

I really doubt that you'll establish effective ties to an insular market by interning for 8-10 weeks with a federal judge. This isn't to say that a judicial internship wouldn't be a great experience, but it's just not worth it compared to (a) making money and (b) having a good back up (if you do good work and get an offer to return 2L summer, you have some buffer against striking out).

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

Why doesn't OP first get an SA offer in hand before we actually debate this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
blowhard wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
This.
Looking at their websites, it would appear the MVP schools don't fund summer judicial internships; odd because my DCNG does. Still think it's worth the hit if it helps you maintain the mold of a normal high-performing T10 student at OCI.
That's not true. I go to one of those schools, and I know they give funding grants for judicial internship - had plenty of friends who did that and I'd say it's by far the most common way 1L's at this school spend their summers. I still say take the SA, though. It will give you a chance to make some money and understand what working at a firm is like so you can give concrete examples and actually know what you're talking about during 2L OCI.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:58 pm

I noticed (when asking people who also went on interviews) 2L year that employers are interested if you get the chance to do work at the firm outside mere research and writing (even if it is something as simple as write an early draft of a motion or even tag along to court.)

A buddy of mine got a callback to an AmLaw 100 thanks to an internship he had in undergrad because it fit with one of the employer's practice areas in a unique way. Any way you can distinguish yourself in a positive way from the thousands of other law students out there is invaluable.
Fresh Prince wrote:Why doesn't OP first get an SA offer in hand before we actually debate this?
Also, this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”