employment perks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grizz

Re: employment perks?

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:36 pm

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:From what I can tell most big law firms don't do any matching. Even 5% matching is a lot of money.

A bigger question is how long is vestment period. In corporate America it usually takes 5 years to fully vest. That's almost twice the average time someone stays in big lawl. Probably why big law doesn't offer it.

5% would be a lot if it were 100% matching but I think that's pretty uncommon. Most non-law employers do $0.33 on the dollar or something along those lines. But law firms are hiring young kids right out of school who probably generally don't have enough sense to recognize the perk for what it is, so it's not particularly useful to them as a recruiting tool... unlike, apparently, blackberrys or shitty chinese delivery after billing 10 hours in a day.

Wow I can't wait to have two cell phones!!!

NOT

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Grizz wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:From what I can tell most big law firms don't do any matching. Even 5% matching is a lot of money.

A bigger question is how long is vestment period. In corporate America it usually takes 5 years to fully vest. That's almost twice the average time someone stays in big lawl. Probably why big law doesn't offer it.

5% would be a lot if it were 100% matching but I think that's pretty uncommon. Most non-law employers do $0.33 on the dollar or something along those lines. But law firms are hiring young kids right out of school who probably generally don't have enough sense to recognize the perk for what it is, so it's not particularly useful to them as a recruiting tool... unlike, apparently, blackberrys or shitty chinese delivery after billing 10 hours in a day.

Wow I can't wait to have two cell phones!!!

NOT

I yearn for the day I've consumed so much shitty midnight pizza at my desk that they have to remove the armrests from my chair because I'm too wide to fit in it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:57 am

I'm pretty sure most of the firms NYC use Seamless Web now for dinner ordering when you're working late, so you aren't confined to pizza/chinese delivery and getting fat anymore.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 am

keg411 wrote:I'm pretty sure most of the firms NYC use Seamless Web now for dinner ordering when you're working late, so you aren't confined to pizza/chinese delivery and getting fat anymore.

You might not be confined to pizza/Chinese but you're probably still gonna get fat.

Ofta3184

Postby Ofta3184 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:24 am

IAFG wrote:
Ofta3184 wrote:dont most SAs get a blackberry or is that just for new associates?

lol'ing hard at this being a perk.

haha sorry im not sorry im poor and have had a nokia with a broken screen for 4 yrs

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:34 am

Ofta3184 wrote:
IAFG wrote:
Ofta3184 wrote:dont most SAs get a blackberry or is that just for new associates?

haha sorry im not sorry im poor and have had a nokia with a broken screen for 4 yrs

Ya you're gonna hate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Grizz wrote:
Ofta3184 wrote:
IAFG wrote:

Ya you're gonna hate it.

maybe so, but at least it won't take him 15 minutes to type a text message anymore

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'm pretty sure most of the firms NYC use Seamless Web now for dinner ordering when you're working late, so you aren't confined to pizza/chinese delivery and getting fat anymore.

You might not be confined to pizza/Chinese but you're probably still gonna get fat.

:|

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 pm

Even from eating the firm-sponsored food at on campus events, I've already gained weight.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:08 am

keg411 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

:|

Whatevers I'm gonna be such a baller with my biglawlz salary that all the wimminz gon be up onz anyway

Return to “Legal Employment”