3.2 at MVPB. Halp.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.2 at MVPB. Halp.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:53 pm

I guess I'll throw my hat into the ring. I'm at about a 3.2 at MVPB. Not sure where that puts me - pretty close to median, but a little below; I'd say 60th percentile at worst. Debt upon graduation will be about 75-80k. I am hoping for biglaw in a secondary midwest market and plan on working my connections as much as possible to get there. I'm from that area. Anyone else have experience working their way into secondary markets at or just below median at a T10? I realize that my debt load isn't huge so I don't have to do biglaw, but it's first on my list and I'm gonna try to make it happen. Advice for moving forward into second semester? Am I ok if I can't improve my GPA by a significant margin?

Anonymous User

Re: 3.2 at MVPB. Halp.

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:36 pm

Depends on what secondary market. I'm at a T14 and having trouble getting into Minneapolis with top 20% grades. Then again, other markets have been more receptive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:45 pm

It's not that one but situated similarly. Are you a 2L? Do you have a firm job in a bigger market? Ties to the Minneapolis area?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on what secondary market. I'm at a T14 and having trouble getting into Minneapolis with top 20% grades. Then again, other markets have been more receptive.

How strong are your connections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on what secondary market. I'm at a T14 and having trouble getting into Minneapolis with top 20% grades. Then again, other markets have been more receptive.

Wtf. More info please?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:11 am

Poster from above having trouble getting into MN...3L at lower T14. Worked in the cities as a 2L for a firm saying they wouldn't likely be giving out any offers unless the economy took a miraculous change for the better (shocker...it didnt!). There were only two summers and neither got one. Also doesn't help that the area is inundated with UMN students (and students from the other fifty bagillion schools in that state) taking my jerbs! Ummmmm, oh yeah, I spoke to a few law firms and they are only hiring out of their summer classes. Though was told to expect movement in July/August! (but not really to expect it, more like if it happens it'll be around then). Sucksssss

Edit: Oh yeah. My ties are my long time SO is currently in the area (and from there) - which is the reason I am applying there.

Return to “Legal Employment”