USAO or DOJ?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO or DOJ?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:50 pm

I am lucky enough to have a few 1L summer job options, but now have to decide which one to take. I need some help, so I am turning to you guys. One option is a USAO job in Vermont. Another is a USAO job in EDNY. The third (which I haven't gotten an offer for, but think I stand a good chance of getting one, and will hear back on Monday), is for the fraud section at DOJ in DC. Vermont would include free rent. New York would provide a chance to see if I actually like living in New York. But I've lived in DC before and love it. All three jobs sound amazing. Which would you guys take?

bceagles182

Re: USAO or DOJ?

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:59 pm

Wow, that's weird. I had both the EDNY and the DOJ Fraud Section offers as well last year. I'm assuming you're from Vermont.

These are great offers.

You should really try to work whereever you are trying to work permanently, as employers will ask why you didn't work in their city during the OCI process.

Another consideration: are the USAO offers criminal or civil? and which of those are you more interested in?

Finally, do you know where in the DOJ Fraud they would place you? There are 4 different subsections .

Geetar Man

Re: USAO or DOJ?

Postby Geetar Man » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am lucky enough to have a few 1L summer job options, but now have to decide which one to take. I need some help, so I am turning to you guys. One option is a USAO job in Vermont. Another is a USAO job in EDNY. The third (which I haven't gotten an offer for, but think I stand a good chance of getting one, and will hear back on Monday), is for the fraud section at DOJ in DC. Vermont would include free rent. New York would provide a chance to see if I actually like living in New York. But I've lived in DC before and love it. All three jobs sound amazing. Which would you guys take?

USAO in Vermont and don't look back. Since you'll have free rent, look to pay your student loans (assuming you have any) back as soon/as much as possible. You want to minimize your debt before MORE shit hits the fan.

Return to “Legal Employment”