. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

:shock:

Wow, guess I really underestimated the reach/significance of this thread. Thanks for the advice and sorry all!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: Bird in the hand (eBay vs. Google)

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:42 pm

Is this for 1L or 2L and would either lead to permanent employment?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:46 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Is this for 1L or 2L and would either lead to permanent employment?
1L, and don't think either would lead to permanent after-LS employment, but maybe would help in terms of biglaw exit options. For that reason, I also wonder if it would be better to build stronger ties or have more diversified experience.
Personally, I'd take eBay. Yeah, Google is one of the most important tech companies in the world, but so many things in life is who you know. Since you want to ultimately wind up with that kind of position at eBay, I'd strength the ties.

Caveat: If I absolutely couldn't afford to leave my apartment behind without incurring painful costs, I'd take Google.

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Probably outing myself by posting this, but it's a real dilemma for me so I could use the advice on my actual options.

I worked at eBay before LS, and they just invited me back for this summer. It's in the department most relevant to my post-LS career dreams. When I applied to them, I sent my resume and cover letter to my contact and expressed my enthusiasm for the company and how much I wanted to return (though I never explicitly said "first choice" or that I would definitely come). They just called and said I could come to their office in California. They were talking as though it was a settled thing, so it was slightly awkward for me to ask for a week to give them my answer in order to "wrap things up."
Before you make any decision, make sure you get the express, explicit, oral offer from eBay first. It will be even better if you can get a written offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Split?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 pm

A++++ Fast response time! Would summer with again! A+++

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:36 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:A++++ Fast response time! Would summer with again! A+++
lol'd

(Woosh to the anon above)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:40 pm

google has more consistency as a company, as ebay is kind of easy to replace. craigslist + paypal is often times better than ebay alone.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:google has more consistency as a company, as ebay is kind of easy to replace. craigslist + paypal is often times better than ebay alone.
wtf is this? You know eBay owns Paypal, right?

---

anyway, tell eBay you want to keep the offer open for a month while you explore your options. If they say no then accept, if they say yes, wait until you get an offer or get rejected from Google, then make your decision. Both legal departments look great for biglaw if you want to get into tech transactions or IP litigation. It'll just come down to where you want.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Last edited by Guchster on Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Posting anonymously bc I don't want to out myself.

When I interviewed at Google for the position that I have now, the process took about three months in total. Granted, I interviewed for two permanent positions and didn't get the first one, but still. If you get all the way through the process and land the internship, you will probably have had a minimum of two in-person interviews (in addition to the phone screen and, for some positions, the submission of a writing sample). My friends who've interned have told me that the hiring process was similar in length for them.

The perks at Google are beyond amazing, and they treat the interns to a lot of great events (cruises, wine tastings, etc.) to make the interns want to come back. I totally understand why you're holding out for Goog.

I would call the eBay recruiter and ask how long you could consider the offer for, and maybe mention that you're trying to figure out logistics and summer housing to see if living in California is financially realistic for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 pm

I'd take the ebay offer for several reasons. First of all if you implied it is your first choice you don't want to burn any bridges. Second of all if in-house tech is the goal I think working in CA for the summer will make you a much stronger candidate than working in NY, just because the general perception is that CA is where the action is. Thirdly you should talk with the people at Google and see about the possibility of doing an internship during the fall semester 1-2 days a week. If they like you, I think this is something they may consider. That way you could have a chance to do both options. Working at ebay this summer will only help you, whereas if they have the impression that they were your first choice and you turn them down, they could hold that against you in the future.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'd take the ebay offer for several reasons. First of all if you implied it is your first choice you don't want to burn any bridges.
+1. The Silicon Valley tech law community is SMALL. EBay and Google legal recruiters almost certainly know each other. If you said one was a first choice and then you back out, it will reflect poorly on you and could harm you in the future.

In a similar vein, I would delete this thread. I don't think you're appreciating how small the community is / how much you've outed yourself. At least three current/former Google legal employees have seen this thread (I'm one of them) and it's not making you look great!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd take the ebay offer for several reasons. First of all if you implied it is your first choice you don't want to burn any bridges.
+1. The Silicon Valley tech law community is SMALL. EBay and Google legal recruiters almost certainly know each other. If you said one was a first choice and then you back out, it will reflect poorly on you and could harm you in the future.

In a similar vein, I would delete this thread. I don't think you're appreciating how small the community is / how much you've outed yourself. At least three current/former Google legal employees have seen this thread (I'm one of them) and it's not making you look great!
Make that four!

The OP is done.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Make that four!

The OP is done.
:shock:

(I can has job?)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Make that four!

The OP is done.
I find this anonymous-Google crap highly offensive and childlike and it certainly reflects very poorly on real google legal employees, in the good chance you guys even work for them. I'll make a note to ask Google recruiters about this type of scare-tactic advice post-grads that claim to work for them give, as I have ZERO interest in working for a place like this if employees spend time during the work week trolling TLS (3:40PM on a Fri? Shouldn't you be working for the salary Google pays you for?)

This forum is for law students to get advice about what to do. OP was telling the truth; they said it was their first choice (at the time), and if Google had come along, Google would've obviously been the first choice. OP wanted to know what to do, which is the whole point of TLS. But even then, you don't even know who the anon person is, and in fact, they could be completely lying about who they are, their qualifications, and how far they are along in this process. It could be a cruel troll that is basing their story of another TLS' profile to cause drama. Give advice to take the post down--sure--but no need to say that OP is 'done.' or threaten to take OP down, when you don't even have good enough proof to prove who OP even is.

Unprofessional and tacky.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:18 am

Guchster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Make that four!

The OP is done.
I find this anonymous-Google crap highly offensive and childlike and it certainly reflects very poorly on real google legal employees, in the good chance you guys even work for them. I'll make a note to ask Google recruiters about this type of scare-tactic advice post-grads that claim to work for them give, as I have ZERO interest in working for a place like this if employees spend time during the work week trolling TLS (3:40PM on a Fri? Shouldn't you be working for the salary Google pays you for?)

This forum is for law students to get advice about what to do. OP was telling the truth; they said it was their first choice (at the time), and if Google had come along, Google would've obviously been the first choice. OP wanted to know what to do, which is the whole point of TLS. But even then, you don't even know who the anon person is, and in fact, they could be completely lying about who they are, their qualifications, and how far they are along in this process. It could be a cruel troll that is basing their story of another TLS' profile to cause drama. Give advice to take the post down--sure--but no need to say that OP is 'done.' or threaten to take OP down, when you don't even have good enough proof to prove who OP even is.

+1. Well said. The first post seemed legit, but I'd venture a guess that the 'you're done' anon was a troll.
Either way, it is a little harsh for TLS, and the OP never seemed that unreasonable or unethical.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:19 am

Guchster wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Make that four!

The OP is done.

Oh my god you won't work for Google?? Oh noes. I bet they are having a meeting over there now trying to figure out how to repair their image in the mind of a 0L

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 am

MrAnon wrote:
Oh my god you won't work for Google?? Oh noes. I bet they are having a meeting over there now trying to figure out how to repair their image in the mind of a 0L
Go fuck yourself.

You missed the point of this post. It wasn't to criticize google employees, it was point to the fact that either these douche nozzles are fake (which is 99% likely) or in the slight case that they are google legal employees, what a sad, pathetic employees they are if they're harassing TLS when they should be doing their job or wasting time doing things that don't involve neurotic 0Ls/1Ls

I'm just concerned because that second anon. troll could really stress out OP. As a 1L with plenty on our plates, we don't need to be bullied or harassed even more, and led to panic. As NYC Law said, OP was never unethical or dishonest, and comments like the ones made could have a really negative impact on OP's mental health. Making someone feel like they're blacklisted at their firm is just awful, and not really something you should do on a thread where someone is clearly stressed out.

Edited: In the heat of my frustration, I sounded douche-baggy so I fixed it.
Last edited by Guchster on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am

Guchster wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Go fuck yourself. I'm a 1L at a T6 that has 5 1L SAs lined up-- along with 2 V20s in NYC, so I don't really need a job for the summer.
QFLawtism.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:32 am

Guchster wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
Go fuck yourself. I'm a 1L at a T6 that has 5 1L SAs lined up-- along with 2 V20s in NYC, so I don't really need a job for the summer.

You missed the point of this post. It wasn't to criticize google employees, it was point to the fact that either this douche nozzles are fake (which is 99% likely) or in the slight case that they are google legal employees, what a sad, pathetic employees they are if they're harassing TLS when they should be doing their job or wasting time doing things that don't involve neurotic 0Ls/1Ls
I'm fairly certain MrAnon was at least one of the 'google employees'

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:46 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Guchster wrote:
MrAnon wrote:
QFLawtism.
Yeah I edited my post to be less of a douche bag. That info isn't even relevant to Mr.Anon's bullshit, and I think I just felt pissed that Mr. Anon was undermining my legit response to a real concern. OP is probably really stressed out by this, and I don't think OP's question and predicament warranted such a response. I should've removed my own info from my response, but meh... it's what I get for being impulsive.
Last edited by Guchster on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon

Gold

Re: .

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:55 am

A couple observations

I love how when anything happens around here it falls on MrAnon's shoulders.

You have to be pretty dumb to post in a public forum that you are debating job opportunities between two very specific employers like Google and Ebay. I mean really.

Also this entire thread has been one big bragfest from the start. Google v. Ebay. 5 1L V20 offers. Seriously? Okay guess what i'm just going to throw my hat in the ring and tell you all that I am mulling offers from White House General Counsel's office, Apple General Counsel, and WLRK SA. Does anyone know which one will ultimately look better for 2L summer?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”