Clerking in a state you don't want to live in?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking in a state you don't want to live in?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm

I have the option to clerk for a family friend who is a superior court judge in a Northeastern state where I have no interest in living, but have ties to. Should I be focused on making connections in my regional school's area or is this a smart move for the experience?

I'm aware that a superior court justice clerkship isn't super prestigious but I still think it could be a good opportunity.

johansantana21

Re: Clerking in a state you don't want to live in?

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:45 pm

What other job offers do you have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 pm

OP here.

Nothing special.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 pm

Interested in this as well. OP, how far away would the clerkship be from where you are going to school/would like to practice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in this as well. OP, how far away would the clerkship be from where you are going to school/would like to practice?

Want to practice in mountain west, clerkship is in the northeast

This is primarily for resume building rather than networking, just wondering if it would carry enough weight outside of the clerkship area to make moving there temporarily worth it

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Nothing special.

Just curious, does "nothing special" = ID for 65k or does "nothing special" = "nothing?"

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

If you have absolutely no other options for post-law school employment, take it, because once you get that stench of graduating unemployed w/o a legal job, it's over.

That said, a superior court clerkship is marketable in the state in which the clerkship is located, but it is virtually worthless in other states, so you must tread very lightly.

For instance, my friend clerked in my state for one of our best and most connected judges, but because he applied for legal jobs in another state where his fiance was working, he had nothing (and still has nothing).

Compare to myself; I have a law firm job lined up for post-clerkship *in the state of my state level clerkship*

If you don't want to work in the state of the clerkship, I'd look for something else.

EDIT: I just noticed you want to work in the Midwest but would clerk for a state judge in the Northeast. Total waste of time, it will not make you more marketable in the Midwest, keep looking for a Midwest job.

Return to “Legal Employment”