20 hour job, classes AND Law Review?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Geist13

20 hour job, classes AND Law Review?

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:17 pm

unemployed 2L here. Had an interview for a clerk position today at a firm that "often" (but by no means always) hires their clerks after graduation. The firm wants 20 hours per week during the school year (full time during the summer obviously). I also have law review. I'm only taking 12 credits this semester, but they are a tough 12 credits (evidence, crim pro, corporations).

So would that schedule be too crazy?

c3pO4

Re: 20 hour job, classes AND Law Review?

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Geist13 wrote:unemployed 2L here. Had an interview for a clerk position today at a firm that "often" (but by no means always) hires their clerks after graduation. The firm wants 20 hours per week during the school year (full time during the summer obviously). I also have law review. I'm only taking 12 credits this semester, but they are a tough 12 credits (evidence, crim pro, corporations).

You can handle it

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Geist13 wrote:unemployed 2L here. Had an interview for a clerk position today at a firm that "often" (but by no means always) hires their clerks after graduation. The firm wants 20 hours per week during the school year (full time during the summer obviously). I also have law review. I'm only taking 12 credits this semester, but they are a tough 12 credits (evidence, crim pro, corporations).

You're unemployed. This gig has a better-than-0 chance of changing your post-graduation employment status. I'd... probably go ahead and jump on that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm working a couple of TA jobs, a research job, have a small business on the side, on Law Review, have a Note to write, and have 17 credit hours. I haven't keeled over and died yet, so I doubt you will. You can do it.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

It'll suck, but it can be done.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Just do it. I've done worse and I know people who have done even more then me.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:29 pm

BUT I WANT A JOB WITHOUT HAVING TO WORK FOR IT!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:13 pm

do you have any idea why smaller firms tend to expect their summer associates, any one with prospect of getting hired there, to work during the term?

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do you have any idea why smaller firms tend to expect their summer associates, any one with prospect of getting hired there, to work during the term?

Because they are not looking for summer associates. The only purpose of the summer associate nonsense is to recruit top talent. Small firms, which can't predict their needs 2 years in advance (who are we kidding, big firms are barely able to do it ) are actually looking for help. They actually need someone to do grunt type work (e.g. legal research, drafting motions etc.). Whereas big firms are just trying to pay you for a summer so that they can lure you into working for them after graduation (because your willingness to slave for that grade indicates a willingness to slave for the billable requirement), smaller firms have an actual need they are looking for. They may use it, in part, for recruiting (i.e. as a really long job interview), but they are mostly just looking for someone to do the work they don't want to do (and this may enable them to bill clients at a lower rate for that work, but that's 100% speculation).

That's my guess anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment”