REMINDER: if you graduate with below a 3.4 from UVA law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: REMINDER: if you graduate with below a 3.4 from UVA law

Postby 005618502 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:08 pm

dood wrote:REMINDER: going to law school outside of HY Chicago = u already failed at life; put on sweatpants and stop trying to "lateral" to a better position

Hahaha nice Chicago TROLL. Not stanford or columbia, but definitely include chicago

Morgan12Oak

Postby Morgan12Oak » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Were you the person who didn't bid on firms because the symplicity posting said the firm required Law Review and top 10%? Half of these "requirements" are obviously soft requirements to weed out people who are actually dumb enough to believe it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Morgan12Oak wrote:Were you the person who didn't bid on firms because the symplicity posting said the firm required Law Review and top 10%? Half of these "requirements" are obviously soft requirements to weed out people who are actually dumb enough to believe it.

Mmmm. Hired at a firm with a GPA 0.5 below their stated GPA for my school, without any plus factors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you will NOT be recruited as a lateral until you are at least a Senior Associate. You may be able to hustle your way to a lateral position before then, but you won't be receiving recruiting calls.

This is absolutely incorrect. I graduated with far below a 3.4 from a T10 law school, haven't even been admitted to practice, and I get recruiter calls daily. Please just stop with the bullshit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:you will NOT be recruited as a lateral until you are at least a Senior Associate. You may be able to hustle your way to a lateral position before then, but you won't be receiving recruiting calls.

This is absolutely incorrect. I graduated with far below a 3.4 from a T10 law school, haven't even been admitted to practice, and I get recruiter calls daily. Please just stop with the bullshit.

You are obviously lying. Why would a recruiter call up someone who hasn't pass the bar?

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 am

How do recruiters even know your GPA? (I imagine that students from a top school like UVA don't need to put GPAs on their resumes. I mean, why should they? kids from the T4(5?) don't!) I know some associates who recently got hired from V5 and V20 firms for whom the issue of grades didn't even come up! I don't know what that proves exactly, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 am

zarathustra wrote:How do recruiters even know your GPA? (I imagine that students from a top school like UVA don't need to put GPAs on their resumes. I mean, why should they? kids from the T4(5?) don't!) I know some associates who recently got hired from V5 and V20 firms for whom the issue of grades didn't even come up! I don't know what that proves exactly, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

If you have less than 4 years of experience, you better put your GPA on your resume or you won't be hired as a lateral. Go find the "legal recruiter taking questions" thread and you'll find confirmation of this point. I could see firms like Skadden hiring people without looking at grades if they are going into M&A and have a good set of deals on their resumes.

Postby 071816 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:23 am

This sounds like overly simplistic, Mtal-style reasoning to me.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You are obviously lying. Why would a recruiter call up someone who hasn't pass the bar?

Yeah. I'm obviously lying. You're so full of shit I can smell the skidmarks from your fucking posts. Go find a way to lose your virginity.

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah. I'm obviously lying. You're so full of shit I can smell the skidmarks from your fucking posts. Go find a way to lose your virginity.

Yeah, you sound like a totally level-headed, reasonable guy who people should listen to on the Internet.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:39 am

Personally, I thought the "skidmarks" quip was quite clever.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:58 am

5ky wrote:Personally, I thought the "skidmarks" quip was quite clever.

It's widely used in daycare. Don't credit OP.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:46 am

This is so false it's hilarious.

First, headhunters * will not * know your GPA for cold calls. They find out who to cold call based on firm websites/advertising and media reports about deals, litigation, etc. I was contacted by a head hunter who did a poor job of reading a firm press release during my summer associateship.

Second, cold calls from headhunters can lead to jobs, but it's definitely not the way most people lateral. It's very common (though one couldn't call it "more likely than not" or "universal") for lateral moves to be made through connections. Going to work for a client you got to know, for a firm where you know a guy, etc. Otherwise it's very common to get pulled from a firm with a strong practice area into a firm looking to grow or strengthen its practice area in that field (which often at least allows for geographic shifts). In both cases grades are very close to irrelevant compared to experience, reputation, and interview ability.

Third, there will always be places that add to their wish-list for lateral recruits high grades and anecdotes about a partner or a recruiter inquiring into a laterals grades. That does NOT mean grades are important or relevant to the lateral process at all much less in general. While some positions may sometimes look at grades, they are the exception and not the rule. Somebody will roll in and whine about how Gibson once dinged a lateral partner after they saw his transcript or some other outlandish story, and then everyone will get twisted into a nervous ball of anxiety. Fight the paranoia, stomp on the inner law student trying to devour its way out of your chest, and relax.

Chill.

ColtsFan88

Postby ColtsFan88 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:41 am

thesealocust wrote:This is so false it's hilarious.

First, headhunters * will not * know your GPA for cold calls. They find out who to cold call based on firm websites/advertising and media reports about deals, litigation, etc. I was contacted by a head hunter who did a poor job of reading a firm press release during my summer associateship.

Second, cold calls from headhunters can lead to jobs, but it's definitely not the way most people lateral. It's very common (though one couldn't call it "more likely than not" or "universal") for lateral moves to be made through connections. Going to work for a client you got to know, for a firm where you know a guy, etc. Otherwise it's very common to get pulled from a firm with a strong practice area into a firm looking to grow or strengthen its practice area in that field (which often at least allows for geographic shifts). In both cases grades are very close to irrelevant compared to experience, reputation, and interview ability.

Third, there will always be places that add to their wish-list for lateral recruits high grades and anecdotes about a partner or a recruiter inquiring into a laterals grades. That does NOT mean grades are important or relevant to the lateral process at all much less in general. While some positions may sometimes look at grades, they are the exception and not the rule. Somebody will roll in and whine about how Gibson once dinged a lateral partner after they saw his transcript or some other outlandish story, and then everyone will get twisted into a nervous ball of anxiety. Fight the paranoia, stomp on the inner law student trying to devour its way out of your chest, and relax.

Chill.

This post was awesome.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:50 am

ColtsFan88 wrote:
thesealocust wrote:This is so false it's hilarious.

Chill.

This post was awesome.

All his posts are awesome

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm

I actually appreciate this post. As a 2L with a job, I've been struggling to find the motivation this semester. I guess I can't just tank.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Doritos wrote:All his posts are awesome

<3 let's get married

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Doritos wrote:All his posts are awesome

<3 let's get married

hooray!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:43 pm

This is some of the weirdest anti-UVA trolling I have ever seen.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is some of the weirdest anti-UVA trolling I have ever seen.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Return to “Legal Employment”