Appellate Practice and/or White Collar Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Appellate Practice and/or White Collar Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm currently a fed circuit law clerk, and I am starting to think about sending our resumes to firms. I'm primarily interested in appellate work, but might be interested in doing white collar crime if I can't get into a firm with a strong appellate practice. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for firms that I should apply to. Here's my stats:

1. Graduated top 5% at a law school ranked 25-35
2. Held a prestigious board position on my Law Review
3. Clerked for a state supreme court
4. Currently a clerk at a federal COA
5. Have published 5 articles (2 as as student and 3 since graduating) (not sure that publications matter to firms)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2LLLL

Bronze

Re: Appellate Practice and/or White Collar Firms

Post by 2LLLL » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:55 pm

I think that many of the top appellate practices are in Washington, D.C. I'd imagine that a lot of white collar work is in DC as well. I think, though, that your experience clerking would be more valuable for appellate than white collar. From what I've seen, experience at DoJ, a USAO, SEC, etc... is key to white collar practice.

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a fed circuit law clerk, and I am starting to think about sending our resumes to firms. I'm primarily interested in appellate work, but might be interested in doing white collar crime if I can't get into a firm with a strong appellate practice. I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for firms that I should apply to. Here's my stats:

1. Graduated top 5% at a law school ranked 25-35
2. Held a prestigious board position on my Law Review
3. Clerked for a state supreme court
4. Currently a clerk at a federal COA
5. Have published 5 articles (2 as as student and 3 since graduating) (not sure that publications matter to firms)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Appellate: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42616

White Collar in NY (scroll down): http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/43213

White Collar in DC doesn't have its own Chambers, but you can get a sense by reading through the general DC litigation one (below). The big ones are W&C, Covington, Wilmerhale, and Kirkland: http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/42873

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Thanks very much! Is it even a possibility for someone with my stats to get in at any of the top appellate practice firms?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks very much! Is it even a possibility for someone with my stats to get in at any of the top appellate practice firms?
Hard to say. It's certainly a possibility, though appellate practices tend to be very pedigree-focused. But you have outstanding grades and a COA clerkship, so I imagine at least some of them would give you a look.

You certainly have nothing to lose by trying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”