LSAT on resume or cover letter or neither?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: LSAT on resume or cover letter or neither?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 am

I'm not sure why the OP is getting shit. I'd put it on the resume. Never do this for a law firm, but in some industries it is okay.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 am

nsbane wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:All I am saying is that they EXPLICITLY ask for your SAT's. They do this in a specific section on their company's application website. If they didn't value them, they wouldn't ask you for them. With that established, I think it is unfair for everyone to here to tell the OP that he is foolish for thinking about adding in a strong standardized test score into his job application somehow.

What you are saying does not address the OP. The reader asked if it is tacky to put a score on the resume and cover letter. The answer is it is tacky. The cover letter serves to express your interest in a job. The resume serves as a condensed form to give your work accomplishments and credentials.

Then companies have long form applications that they will ask in addition to your resume and letter. In the long form application, if they EXPLICITLY ask for your 3rd grade geography final, then give it to them. And if the company doesn't ask for it, I would never bring it up. Just like I would never bring up my LSAT score out of the blue.

When you apply to law school, they explicitly ask for an emergency contact. They also ask for a resume. Did you list your emergency contact on your resume?

Finally, I participated in a hiring committee at the firm I worked at. Putting your LSAT score on your resume was considered poor taste, to put it mildly. This was a law office. I can't imagine what some other business would think if people gave their scores without being asked for them.

True, there is a bit of a difference between a section where they ask for it on an application and including it on a resume. However, I think that if you can tactfully weave it in to a resume (probably the better place for it), that it won't hurt and could help. I really think that many employers look to standardized test scores in the same way (although obviously with not as much emphasis), as law schools look at the LSAT. There are many factors that can be manipulated or represented advantageously by the applicant, but standardized test scores are an equalizer. I really think if you have strong scores you are showing something to a potential employer. And there was one company (I think it was JP Morgan or Credit Suisse or something like that) I applied to that actually told me to put my SAT scores on my resume. But honestly, I don't have the experience you do so you are probably right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 am

For someone who has worked for McKinsey, I can say that most of the successful applicants who apply for positions include standardized test scores on their resumes. Moreover, McKinsey screens resumes based on whether or not candidates have put their standardized test scores on their resumes. Most undergrads from prestigious universities list their SAT scores on the resume. (If you want more proof, look at Harvard's OCS webpage and you will find that they have sample resumes where students list their scores.)

For those who think it's tacky, that's fine to think that; but, it is important to understand that prestigious firms care and will think it's tacky for you not to include it. Given all this information, I suggest posting your SAT and your LSAT (if both are good) when applying to consulting or IB firms. A 171 for McK is OK...nothing to sneeze at, but at the same time, won't turn any heads.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Most undergrads from prestigious universities list their SAT scores on the resume. (If you want more proof, look at Harvard's OCS webpage and you will find that they have sample resumes where students list their scores.)

Went to such a university. Many friends at banks and Big3 consulting shops. My school never told us to do that. In fact they said the opposite. Also visited Harvard's OCS page. None of the samples seem to include a standardized test score. You should back up hilarious stuff you say w/ links.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 am

Agree with the McKinsey alum. Prestigious firms IB and consulting firms put a premium on raw intelligence and trainability. High GPA is an indicator of this but high standardized test scores (ideally coupled with the high gpa) help suss out the truly brilliant from the reasonably intelligent who have a great work ethic. Firms like Goldman and McKinsey would love a truly brilliant kid with a great work ethic, but I think 9 times out of 10, they'll take a truly brilliant kid with an average work ethic over the reasonably intelligent kid with the stellar work ethic. (We can start an argument about the definitions of truly brilliant vs. reasonably intelligent if you REALLY want, but please can we only do this if you don't understand my point?)

IB and Consulting firm hiring is a dick measuring process, and you are invited and even encouraged to drop your trousers to make a good first impression.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah...

TLDR: Put LSAT on your resume if applying to firms like Goldman and McKinsey. Use your judgement. Otherwise, yes, you may come off as a douche.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Went to such a university. Many friends at banks and Big3 consulting shops. My school never told us to do that. In fact they said the opposite. Also visited Harvard's OCS page. None of the samples seem to include a standardized test score. You should back up hilarious stuff you say w/ links.

Here you go dick:

--LinkRemoved--

Apparently you didn't go to a very good "top" school....

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:34 am

Neither. I can't imagine why any employer other than an LSAT prep company would care what you got on the LSAT.

pcwcecac

Postby pcwcecac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

OP,

Just from your responses on this thread, I would've guessed that you scored 170+ on your LSAT. That number won't be any more convincing than what you can present in writing.

If you are applying for an Analyst slot, they expect you to leave after 2 years anyways. Voicing your desire to attend law school may be a good thing, and perhaps give you an opening to show off your LSAT score during the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 pm

pretty sad that judging from my LSAT I do not have much raw intelligence.
well I should have known it - and there is only one way of measuring one's intelligence anyway.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:50 pm

FWIW, I worked in a small shop for a specific industry. We hired someone for an entry level analyst position that listed a perfect SAT score on their resume. I'm pretty sure it had an impact on that person getting hired.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

is there a correlation between SAT and LSAT?

I know a guy who went to harvard with a perfect SAT (it was in the news!) but he only got a 162 or something which enabled him to get into BC (a number of years ago - now the par is higher of course)

blank403

Postby blank403 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:All I am saying is that they EXPLICITLY ask for your SAT's. They do this in a specific section on their company's application website. If they didn't value them, they wouldn't ask you for them. With that established, I think it is unfair for everyone to here to tell the OP that he is foolish for thinking about adding in a strong standardized test score into his job application somehow.

TCR. OP, anyone who is telling you not to has no idea what they are talking about. Part of the TLS mantra is no LSAT on your resume after you are accepted into law school. People will jump to shove this in your face without even reading your post (see above). People will also mindlessly apply this mantra to 0L jobs, even though it is not a proper parallel (see above). Do yourself a favor and ignore them.

As someone who has applied for finance jobs, and who has watched multiple friends go through the process, these places regularly ask for standardized test scores. These people are all prestige obsessed douches who are looking for whatever metric they can to evaluate you. Put it down.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:09 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
ran12 wrote:Analytical skills in finance have nothing to do with your ability to get a 170+ LSAT score.

I guess you know more than Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, BCG, and various others all who ask for your LSAT score. OP, put it down. I don't think a lot of these people really know what they're talking about.

+1, a ton of people here are talking out of their asses. LSAT score for a legal job = stupid, LSAT job * for the kind of job OP is applying for * = possibly necessary

ruski

Postby ruski » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 pm

agree with the sentiment that most pple here don't know anything.

i remember specifically that GS, mkinsey, and DE Shaw all ask for standardized test scores on their actual employment application. if your scores are good, definitely include it on your resume. finance is a whole other beast.

Return to “Legal Employment”