LSAT on resume or cover letter or neither?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LSAT on resume or cover letter or neither?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Hey, I think I may have seen this question before but perhaps my circumstances are a little different. I am thinking of applying for a finance job at a business in the legal industry on the East Coast. The question is obviously whether it is completely tacky to plug in your LSAT score on your resume or cover letter or neither. On the one hand, I can barely say my LSAT score when people ask me cuz I feel like its humblebragging. On the other, I think its a good indicator of "analytical skills," one of the requested skills of the job. Since this is anonymous, i don't mind saying i got a 171. Is there an accepted norm for this type of thing?

Tom Joad

Re: LSAT on resume or cover letter or neither?

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:31 pm

lol at even thinking that is a humblebrag when you are posting on a forum in which hundreds of people have better LSAT scores. It just sounds kind of douchey to me, but seriously don't put tons of weight on my thoughts because I have never applied for jobs in that sector.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:32 pm

was waiting for that

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:35 pm

I cannot tell if you're looking for work as an alternative to law school or if this is a post law school attempt to find non-legal work. Either way, I would not list my LSAT score. If the former, you're basically informing them that you could cut and run to go back to school at anytime. If the latter, why would anyone care about an entrance exam score after you've graduated?

cal7777

Postby cal7777 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 pm

I would put 180 since nobody will check it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 pm

It'd be getting work experience before law school but I totally see your point. Thank you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:56 pm

i saw something putting their gmat scores on linkedin.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:12 pm

Put it on both. Here's an example:

Resume, you want it to be conspicuous, so put it next to your name at the top:

Turd Ferguson (LSAT: 141)
2384 LOLWUT Blvd.
Youkiddingme, NY 10101

[And then you want to list it again above your education section, then list it by your job entries, then in your "hobbies/interests" section, too. Hobbies "taking LSAT (141)"].

Cover Letter:

Dear Mr. Notgonnahireme:

My name is Turd Ferguson and I scored a 141 on the LSAT. Because of this and my superior understanding of social cues and hiring practices, I think I'd be a great Douchenozzle for NeverInAMillionYears Corporation.

yada, yada, yada then you want to explain how your LSAT score means you'll be intuitively smarter than most of the other employees and applicants.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:16 pm

Okay thanks man appreciate the effort you put into that trolling.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Why do people think their score matters one bit once they've been admitted?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:21 pm

I haven't been admitted. its an entry level job so I can get some work experience before I go to school. but the guy ended the discussion when he pointed to the fact that I don't want to indicate to companies that I'm planning on leaving for school in some time.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Okay thanks man appreciate the effort you put into that trolling.

I try. Seriously though, I can't imagine it's a good idea unless the employment application or materials specifically ask for test scores. And I certainly wouldn't put it in a cover letter even if they did.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:29 pm

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Analytical skills in finance have nothing to do with your ability to get a 170+ LSAT score.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:On the one hand, I can barely say my LSAT score when people ask me cuz I feel like its humblebragging. On the other, I think its a good indicator of "analytical skills," one of the requested skills of the job.

1. LSAT score itself might be a decent indicator of analytical skills or trainability.

2. Putting LSAT score on resume or cover letter might be a decent indicator of your judgment (and personality).

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 am

ran12 wrote:Analytical skills in finance have nothing to do with your ability to get a 170+ LSAT score.

I guess you know more than Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, BCG, and various others all who ask for your LSAT score. OP, put it down. I don't think a lot of these people really know what they're talking about.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 am

Put your SAT scores on there while you're at it. And the grade you got on your algebra final. Everyone will be really impressed.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 am

Both. Usually both.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 am

nsbane wrote:Put your SAT scores on there while you're at it. And the grade you got on your algebra final. Everyone will be really impressed.

I kid you not, a lot of serious consulting/ business firms ask for your SAT scores. They want the best and brightest. Believe it or not, standardized test scores are a pretty good indicator of raw intellect.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
ran12 wrote:Analytical skills in finance have nothing to do with your ability to get a 170+ LSAT score.

I guess you know more than Goldman Sachs, McKinsey, BCG, and various others all who ask for your LSAT score. OP, put it down. I don't think a lot of these people really know what they're talking about.

When you are being considered for hire for these companies, they also consider your credit history. That doesn't mean you put your FICO score on your resume.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:56 am

nsbane wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

When you are being considered for hire for these companies, they also consider your credit history. That doesn't mean you put your FICO score on your resume.

No. That's just a shit comparison.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:58 am

Isn't OP a 0L?

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
nsbane wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:

No. That's just a shit comparison.

Hi Bernal Diaz, you seem to be speaking with authority. Could you explain how you know it is good to put your SAT on your resume? For example, what financial firm are you an analyst at?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 am

All I am saying is that they EXPLICITLY ask for your SAT's. They do this in a specific section on their company's application website. If they didn't value them, they wouldn't ask you for them. With that established, I think it is unfair for everyone to here to tell the OP that he is foolish for thinking about adding in a strong standardized test score into his job application somehow.

nsbane

Postby nsbane » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 am

bernaldiaz wrote:All I am saying is that they EXPLICITLY ask for your SAT's. They do this in a specific section on their company's application website. If they didn't value them, they wouldn't ask you for them. With that established, I think it is unfair for everyone to here to tell the OP that he is foolish for thinking about adding in a strong standardized test score into his job application somehow.

What you are saying does not address the OP. The reader asked if it is tacky to put a score on the resume and cover letter. The answer is it is tacky. The cover letter serves to express your interest in a job. The resume serves as a condensed form to give your work accomplishments and credentials.

Then companies have long form applications that they will ask in addition to your resume and letter. In the long form application, if they EXPLICITLY ask for your 3rd grade geography final, then give it to them. And if the company doesn't ask for it, I would never bring it up. Just like I would never bring up my LSAT score out of the blue.

When you apply to law school, they explicitly ask for an emergency contact. They also ask for a resume. Did you list your emergency contact on your resume?

Finally, I participated in a hiring committee at the firm I worked at. Putting your LSAT score on your resume was considered poor taste, to put it mildly. This was a law office. I can't imagine what some other business would think if people gave their scores without being asked for them.

Return to “Legal Employment”