Non-OCI job opportunities? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-OCI job opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:17 pm

I know the typical answer on these boards can be to say that law school graduates possess "no useful skills" and are screwed in trying to get other jobs after graduation, but I wanted to confirm that that's what everyone thinks. I'm a 1L at a lower T14 with very strong grades so far, but I'm not particularly interested in the hectic biglaw lifestyle. I'm also not sure I'll get to choose where to live after graduation (or, consequently, know where I'll be living until that time), for personal reasons, so I probably won't be nailing down a job in my second or third year of school, regardless of opportunity.

Essentially, I'm wondering if it's really true that I open up no other opportunities for myself with a law school degree. If I maintain good grades, won't that at least open some doors for me, inside and outside of law? Or am I truly back to square 1 if I miss out on OCI?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: I will be fortunate enough to be graduating with no debt, so that's not a consideration. I'm just wondering which fields, in any and all salary brackets, will look kindly upon a JD degree. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Non-OCI job opportunities?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:10 pm

OP here. Repetitive/Misplaced thread?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

You really don't, unless it dovetails with some meaningful pre-LS experience.

HTH

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm

Some forms of internal corporate investigation/internal audit or management consulting/advisory firms might value a JD, but it would be as a second choice to a dedicated degree in those fields. Really overkill to get the JD and they would have to train the lawyer out of you, but they wouldn't be as averse to you as most other professions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”