Drop out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Drop out?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:13 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
sunynp wrote:Huh. I think 60,000 is a lot to owe if you can't get any job. I would give it another semester and see where you are at the end of the year. I would go to career services and press them hard for job information. You should also check out the law school transparency report that came out today.

Do you have any job prospects? What have you done about getting a summer job? What geographic region are you looking to live in.

FWiw- I don't think that going to a low ranked school for a semester or a year to see how you will do is a terrible idea. If you had killed it, you could be looking at transferring. The key is to drop out as soon as you know you aren't going to get a job.

It's not that he can't get any job; he can't get a biglaw job. 60K in debt works out to roughly $700 a month, which is doable even on a shitlaw 40K job outside a major city.

he can't get biglaw if he stays the same. same anonymous from above...i had the same exact grades at a different T30 school. did way better second semester and boosted my GPA to top 5%. one semester in the top 33% is not grounds alone for quitting.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
sunynp wrote:Huh. I think 60,000 is a lot to owe if you can't get any job. I would give it another semester and see where you are at the end of the year. I would go to career services and press them hard for job information. You should also check out the law school transparency report that came out today.

Do you have any job prospects? What have you done about getting a summer job? What geographic region are you looking to live in.

FWiw- I don't think that going to a low ranked school for a semester or a year to see how you will do is a terrible idea. If you had killed it, you could be looking at transferring. The key is to drop out as soon as you know you aren't going to get a job.

It's not that he can't get any job; he can't get a biglaw job. 60K in debt works out to roughly $700 a month, which is doable even on a shitlaw 40K job outside a major city.

he can't get biglaw if he stays the same. same anonymous from above...i had the same exact grades at a different T30 school. did way better second semester and boosted my GPA to top 5%. one semester in the top 33% is not grounds alone for quitting.

What was your curve. Going from top 33% to top 5% in one semester is virtually impossible at most schools. At my school you'd need to literally have a straight A+'s.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

What was your curve. Going from top 33% to top 5% in one semester is virtually impossible at most schools. At my school you'd need to literally have a straight A+'s.

This. Did you mean to say you had top 5% 2nd semester grades?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:06 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Exactly. WTF kinda grade inflation is this?

What? At most schools a 3.4 GPA puts you in the top 1/3? Actually doesn't it do that at UT?

actually, ut might be almost just as bad as NU with grade inflation. top 1/3 is more like 3.5+

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

I am depressed by your question. You say you enjoy it. Just work a little harder.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am depressed by your question.

I felt the same way when I opened this to find top third at W&M...

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

This is an overly emotional reaction by OP since OP has a reasonable chance to move into the top 20% by the end of next semester. At William & Mary, at least 20% get biglaw & federal clerkships.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:This is an overly emotional reaction by OP since OP has a reasonable chance to move into the top 20% by the end of next semester. At William & Mary, at least 20% get biglaw & federal clerkships.

It was about 25% during boom times. 15% now is a reasonable guess.

.375 H&H Mag.

Postby .375 H&H Mag. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Last edited by .375 H&H Mag. on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

i didn't say i went from top 33% to top 5%. the OP is in the top 33% with his grades at W&M. I go to a different t30 school where those same grades worked out to somewhere between 20-25%, but closer to 20%. so i went from a 3.4ish (around top 20%) to a 3.7 (top 5%).

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 pm

i didn't say i went from top 33% to top 5%. the OP is in the top 33% with his grades at W&M. I go to a different t30 school where those same grades worked out to somewhere between 20-25%, but closer to 20%. so i went from a 3.4ish (around top 20%) to a 3.7 (top 5%).

You went from a 3.4 to a 3.7 CUMULATIVE in 1 semester? How the f---

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Chill dude. You've got low debt, you go to a decent school, you seem to like law school, your grades are decent, and you've only had one semester. You probably won't get big law with those grades, but you can get them up and be competitive. If you want to be a lawyer, you are fine at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

I didn't have that big of a jump, but I went from top 25% to top 5% at a school that curves to around 3.2 for 1Ls. But yeah, I got straight As.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am

johansantana21 wrote:

3.4+4.0 = 7.4; 7.4/2 = 3.7

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

johansantana21 wrote:

i had the same grades as OP first semester B+, B+, A-, then 4 straight A's second semester.

edit: it worked out to a bit higher than 3.4. if memory serves me right it was around a 3.43

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:

i had the same grades as OP first semester B+, B+, A-, then 4 straight A's second semester.

edit: it worked out to a bit higher than 3.4. if memory serves me right it was around a 3.43

I had a similar outcome (at a T20). I had 2 A- and a B first semester (3.46) and then got a 3.86 GPA second semester - ended up just under a 3.7 cumulative. Got several SA offers, including a V5. The point is - no sense in giving up after one semester, when so much can change in round two. Just bust your butt and improve on the mistakes you made in the first go-round.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 am

agree with what pretty much everyone else has said. it is different for people with GPAs that are so low that (a) even a big turnaround won't help that much, and (b) it is less likely they will even be able to turn it around. you on the other hand have demonstrated you can do well and thus there is promise you can really hammer it down, and if you DO kill it next semester you will actually be in a very, very good spot. even if you don't it's not like you are completely out of the running or anything.

i'll be the first to tell you it sucks out there, but i wouldn't be giving much thought to throwing in the towel if i were in your position.

Return to “Legal Employment”