Another wedding, time off question for 2L summer firm job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another wedding, time off question for 2L summer firm job

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I know this has been beat to death already but I couldn't find a thread that was exactly on point to my situation. Some background, I'll be working at a mid-size firm this summer that does offer its summers full time positions but it's not a slam dunk like many big law firms. Essentially from all the information I've gotten from the firm it's like a 50/50 shot depending on my performance and needs of the firm. It can't forecast those needs two years out like bigger firms can. The position is full time for the summer and will go part time during 3L....

the age old TLS problem. One of my best friends from college is getting married and i'm a groomsmen. Here's where it's a little unique. Its freeking fourth of july weekend. Meaning, I'm already going to be off presumably that wed. And to make the rehearsal dinner I would need to get Thursday and Friday off. Any idea what the best approach is? Would asking essentially for a week off really be a bad decision. Or do you think as long as I address it long before the summer begins it will be okay. I know no one can tell me what will happen, just curious how other people would handle the situation. My initial though is seeing if i can bail on the rehearsal dinner and just asking for one day off (that friday of the wedding). Thoughts?

patrickd139

Re: Another wedding, time off question for 2L summer firm job

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote: as long as I address it long before the summer begins it will be okay. ...Thoughts?

I think you know what the answer is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

I don't think anyone will tar and feather you for taking one day off. Asking for the whole week would be excessive though, unless it's YOUR wedding.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:01 pm

I'd skip the rehearsal dinner and stag party, and just go in and out for the actual wedding. You can hire your own strippers with the money you'll make.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:21 pm

This is a bigger deal since you're in the wedding party. Get Thursday and Friday off. No idea what you could ever accomplish on a Thursday that would be worth making a person's groomsman miss his rehearsal dinner.

Return to “Legal Employment”