1L In House

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L In House

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm

To those that have worked in house or even just found positions to apply for, how did you do it? I'm at a lower T14 and haven't had much luck with judges so far. I'm interested in transactional, so a 1L in house position seems like a good fit. However, after scanning the websites of various F500s, I haven't found much in the way of options. Where do you find these positions?

ben4847

Re: 1L In House

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:16 pm

I worked in house 1L. I got the job through On Campus Interviewing. Company is an American subsidiary of a large multinational company.
Work was about half litigation or potential litigation, and about half legal research for pending contracts.
Pay was about 1k a week. 40 hrs.

Overall, it was a really good and chilled out 1L experience. I kind of hoped like you I'd get some transactional experience, but I didn't really. I'm still not really sure what transactional work is, but I suppose I'll find out this summer.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm

http://www.indeed.com is a decent site; it aggregates job postings from companies' sites and other places. Worth a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To those that have worked in house or even just found positions to apply for, how did you do it? I'm at a lower T14 and haven't had much luck with judges so far. I'm interested in transactional, so a 1L in house position seems like a good fit. However, after scanning the websites of various F500s, I haven't found much in the way of options. Where do you find these positions?

I've chatted up my parents' friends, friends' parents, sister's friends' parents, former employers and professors, basically everyone I can think of and that's where I've gotten my interviews, including one for an in-house position at a Fortune 500. I doubt I'm going to get it, but at least it's an interview.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Blackboard, Wal Mart, Prudential, Amtrak all offered summer positions when I was a 1L.

Can't guarantee the opportunities now, but google and see what comes up.

haider

Postby haider » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”