Los Angeles District Attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles District Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That is harsh! And makes sense. So would you recommend getting various experiences during law school? Maybe geared towards jury trials?

And yes, if you have more information could you PM me? My goal is to work at the LADA office but I don't know how feasible it is straight out of law school. I am open to working in other counties or other prosecution jobs (City Attorney etc)

Post unanonymously so I can PM you, then just delete the post after if you are concerned.

Veritas13

Postby Veritas13 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 am

guy097 wrote:Second round interviews start today and continue for several weeks.

Have you received any word since the 2nd round? Some people were live scanned and finger printed after the 2nd round interview (like I was), but I don't know if the department has already selected whom they will be calling back for the 3rd round. I also heard they just finished up with the 2nd round interviews last week.

The FAQ handout they gave out at the end of the interview said that offers will be made in June, which I am assuming means that the 3rd rounds wills take place at the end of April through early to mid May.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:35 pm

I was also live scanned and have not yet heard anything about a third interview. Whoever hears back, please let us know....

Gopshop

Postby Gopshop » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:05 pm

So I take it no live scan means no further considerations.

Veritas13

Postby Veritas13 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Gopshop wrote:So I take it no live scan means no further considerations.

The notice they provided at the end of the 2nd round interview (the FAQ doc) stated that some people will be asked to submit to a live scan, though not everyone who is invited to the 2nd round will be asked to submit to one.

Of the people who were asked to scan, some of those people will be be invited to a 3rd round interview, though not everyone who was asked to submit to a live scan will automatically be invited back to interview at the 3rd round.

Unfortunately, based only on the information provided on the handout it appears as though those people who were not asked to submit to a scan are out of the running. However, I can't say this definitively since it wasn't stated on the handout. Keep your fingers crossed.

You can always contact the exam unit and ask them directly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:48 pm

As I left my live scan I overheard someone in the office say that 7 out of the 8 interviewees for the day had been scanned (though the office staff seemed a little surprised it was that high). Even so, that left me thinking that there is no way all (or even most) of the people who get sent through for a scan are getting a 3rd interview. My second interview wasn't pleasant.. couldn't tell if they were just trying to get a rise out of me or if they were genuinely unimpressed...so we'll see.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:53 pm

What was unpleasant about your interview?! Mine seemed so laid back - they just asked for stories regarding past internships (I interned/clerked for a DA's office in HS, college, law, and post law school). I didn't really get any standard interview questions.. mostly "tell us a time when..." that involved the reasoning why I continued to want to become a DA. Seems odd they're easy on some and hard on others.. especially since the 1st round involves form questions.

Can more people elaborate on what went down at their 2nd round interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 pm

If the interview was unpleasant but they sent you to be Livescanned, you must have done fine.

There were two others who were Livescanned just before me and two just after me, so that's five people in a fairly short time period. Obviously many more are Livescanned than will be invited for a third interview.

My interview seemed normal - not unpleasant or laid back. I'm sure it depends on who interviewed you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 am

My interview seemed really casual too. They asked the same kind of general "tell me why..." questions, as well.

When I got live scanned the investigator said, "you must have done really well, they haven't sent many people down here." Maybe that's because I was interviewed early on.

Getting scanned is probably a good sign, but they're probably only going to invite a fraction of those people back for a third round interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Has anyone heard back regarding their second round interview?

Veritas13

Postby Veritas13 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back regarding their second round interview?

No, at least I haven't! Which is extremely frustrating, because I already heard back from the PD's office, and I just had the interview on Wednesday!?!

The PD was a "cover my bases app", I really want the DA job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:50 pm

I haven't heard anything either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back regarding their second round interview?

FYI: I contacted the Exams Unit for the D.A.'s Office. They said that they could not give me any additional information, but that selection of candidates who will move on to the 3rd interview have not been made yet. Which means that everyone who has submitted to a live scan is most likely still in the running - as background checks probably haven't finished yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Any updates? This wait is agony :cry:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates? This wait is agony :cry:

Still nothing here. They must have changed their minds about the whole thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 am

The FAQ sheet didn't mention it, but wouldn't they send out letters to those who were live scanned but are not being considered for a third interview? Can we assume that no news is good news, at least for now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 2:14 am

That's a good point - I like your thinking!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat May 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Has anyone received PD, DA, law firm job offers in the interim?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received PD, DA, law firm job offers in the interim?

You're asking if anyone has received an offer, in the interim of waiting to recieve an offer? No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Still haven't heard anything. If they are making offers in June, as they said in their FAQ paperwork, then they need to do round 3 interviews before then. I'm hoping we hear something in the next week or so. This is a painfully slow process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The FAQ sheet didn't mention it, but wouldn't they send out letters to those who were live scanned but are not being considered for a third interview? Can we assume that no news is good news, at least for now?

L.A. County has a standard disqualification letter that they send out to a candidate if they fail a background check or are otherwise DQ'd from the application process. So yes, at this time, no news is definitely good news.

The County is notoriously SLOW with regard to the hiring process. This is true for "open and continuous" as well as "non-competitive" promotional opportunities. You can go through this same process as an employee, receive an offer to promote, and not be "released" (or placed in the new position) for over a year!

Get ready for a lifetime of waiting... and that's if you get the job!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still haven't heard anything. If they are making offers in June, as they said in their FAQ paperwork, then they need to do round 3 interviews before then. I'm hoping we hear something in the next week or so. This is a painfully slow process.

Yes! Offers are to be made in June and the training class will start in July 2014. So, they HAVE to send out invitations to 3rd interviews this month to be able to make offers in June. Although the County takes long to do anything they are very good about meeting proffered deadlines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 4:05 pm

I disagree. The initial first round informational letter given out at the first round said offers were going to be made in May. The second round interview letter pushed that date back to June. So they can push back deadlines if they chose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 4:13 pm

What if you receive a job offer between now and then? Do you decline and hold out for LA? Tough decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 13, 2014 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if you receive a job offer between now and then? Do you decline and hold out for LA? Tough decisions.

If you get a job offer now, take it. Generally, you will be given an at-will employment agreement, which gives each party the right to end the employment relationship with 15 days notice. If the training doesn't even start until July, but offers are made in June, you'll have plenty of time between the offer and the start date to tell your new employer that you changed your mind and are giving them notice. Every person, at all times, reserves the right to change their mind, no one will fault you for than. This is especially true with such a great opportunity, like working for the DA. They (an employer) wouldn't hesitate to fire you if the same sort of situation came up for them... it's business.

At least this way you cover your bases in the event that you don't get in with the DA. If, however, you get an offer from the PD and you'd rather work for the DA that's a whole different situation. You don't wanna burn any bridges. The county is a small place with a long memory. If that situation presents itself my advice would be to take the first offer. If late you decide you still want to work for the other side you can transfer over. Interdepartmental opportunities come up much more often, getting in is the hard part. And, in a county job, you want to start the clock ticking for accruing retirement and other benefits.

Return to “Legal Employment”