Los Angeles District Attorney

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles District Attorney

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 pm

I called yesterday and they haven't sent out the decisions yet. They're still making up their minds...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I called yesterday and they haven't sent out the decisions yet. They're still making up their minds...

Thank you for this ! I watch this thread to see if anyone hears.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 am

I would like to hear opinions on DA job v. private firm job. (Pro v Con)

If you had a private firm opportunity ( boutique, 8-12 attorneys, 5-6 partners) in a practice area you really like,
...and starting compensation was same as DA, what considerations would you still balance?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would like to hear opinions on DA job v. private firm job. (Pro v Con)

If you had a private firm opportunity ( boutique, 8-12 attorneys, 5-6 partners) in a practice area you really like,
...and starting compensation was same as DA, what considerations would you still balance?

Do you need 10 year loan forgiveness? Which practice area do you see yourself doing 10-20 years from now? Chances for promotion and higher salary? How many hours a week does the private firm require? Shorter commute?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Called today. Notices go out on Monday in the mail...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Notices are out. People in the LA area got their's today...

crescent123

Postby crescent123 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:19 pm

I received my Notice of Exam Results yesterday. Regarding my score it states:

Interview score: 98.50%
Final score: 99.00%
Band 1

I was super stoked at first.. and thought I was a top candidate because I assumed the scores were out of 100. However, upon further examination I read the letter more closely.. under "Explanation of Bands" the top two bands are V (101-110) and 1 (95-100). So I didn't do as great as I initially thought haha. Mildly embarrassing because I shared my results with old co-workers at the office. :oops: Of course I am very fortunate I am moving on - this job is my absolute dream career.

There is blurb at the bottom of the notice that states you can set up an appointment to review your examination. Does anyone have experience reviewing their exam? I called the HR office today and they stated people who placed in bands V and 1 will be contacted in "the next few weeks" to receive a second interview date. I'm glad I will have ample time to prepare for the next round.

Good luck to all! I would love to hear more insight on what is going on with this interview process and how people scored. Any insight on what to expect for the second interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 pm

crescent123 wrote:I received my Notice of Exam Results yesterday. Regarding my score it states:

Interview score: 98.50%
Final score: 99.00%
Band 1

I was super stoked at first.. and thought I was a top candidate because I assumed the scores were out of 100. However, upon further examination I read the letter more closely.. under "Explanation of Bands" the top two bands are V (101-110) and 1 (95-100). So I didn't do as great as I initially thought haha. Mildly embarrassing because I shared my results with old co-workers at the office. :oops: Of course I am very fortunate I am moving on - this job is my absolute dream career.

There is blurb at the bottom of the notice that states you can set up an appointment to review your examination. Does anyone have experience reviewing their exam? I called the HR office today and they stated people who placed in bands V and 1 will be contacted in "the next few weeks" to receive a second interview date. I'm glad I will have ample time to prepare for the next round.

Good luck to all! I would love to hear more insight on what is going on with this interview process and how people scored. Any insight on what to expect for the second interview?

V = Veterans.

They get a 10 point boost to their final score. (it's in the job bulletin posted long ago on the DA website)
So, they can technically go over the 100 available points.

If you got 99 ... and are not a veteran, then you did very good !

Go back to being "super stoked." You earned it !

crescent123

Postby crescent123 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:59 pm

Ahh, I see. Thank you for explaining that to me - after religiously reading all of the information provided, you would think I could have figured that out. :shock: I guess my flashcards and hours of studying paid off after all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Got my note band 1 - EDIT: I got a 95 - so squeaked in - I am SHOCKED, since I felt like I limped out of there- now what? what is second round like? what are my chances - I am really trying to not get excited but I would REALLY love this job. Help
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:04 pm

Anyone know how many people applied and how many people are in each band? Also, does anyone know what round 2 and round 3 of the interviews are like? I got a 99%, and have friends that got 94% and 70%.

Thanks everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:19 am

i heard rumors of several hundred in band 1 alone. anyone heard about interviews for round 2 yet?

elleku

Postby elleku » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:25 pm

I was just informed that I placed in Band 1 and will be having a selection interview. Not sure what that entails yet. Will take place in the next few weeks. I got 99%.

guy097

Postby guy097 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 pm

Second round interviews start today and continue for several weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:32 am

Hey - has anyone else had trouble getting their 2nd interview scheduled? I was put on a wait list for an interview slot because they ran out? Seems odd.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 pm

I am also on the wait list for an interview slot. I was trying to schedule an interview for the last 10 day to no avail. Let's keep each other posted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Yes - lets do that. I spoke to the scheduling person recently and they said that they are waiting for the managers schedules to clear so they can make more spots. It seems a little ridiculous to me but what can you do? Luckily I am in Orange County, so I can drive up quickly if needed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:03 pm

I was told the exact same information - they were working on scheduling additional interview slots with ADA's. Good sign they're giving consistent information. I hope we both get interview dates soon... I feel like they sort of HAVE to interview everyone who scored 95+, right? I'm so anxious because LADA is honestly my dream job i :(

Let me know if you hear anything further.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:48 pm

I think because it is a government agency with a civil service system, they have to follow the rules and procedures related to interviews. So that means since we got over a 95, we will get an interview. It is hard being patient because they said interviews would be conducted in March and the beginning of April, which is now done.

But luckily they are hiring 20-40 people, so odds are good. Let us know when they contact you to schedule an interview.

Gopshop

Postby Gopshop » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:02 am

Has anyone been able to ascertain what the substance of the "selection interview" will be? Are we going to be handed a case file fact pattern and asked to prepare and opening statement or closing argument? Will it be a more traditional interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:30 pm

Any word about selection interview from fellow waitlisted applicants?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:14 pm

UPDATE - Just received a call that my selection interview will be this week. I was placed on the wait list about two weeks ago. Others should expect a call soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm sorry, but could someone explain to me how the scores work? I know there is a three part interviewing process. I interned at the DA's office before law school, and hoping I can during my 2L and 3L. Will interning there help with the bands/scores/points?

Also, I know over 1000 apply for 20-40 spots. How many of the 1000 are clerks or people that have interned there? I am assuming they have the advantage? Unless I am horribly mistaken, which kills my dream to be a DA!

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sorry, but could someone explain to me how the scores work? I know there is a three part interviewing process. I interned at the DA's office before law school, and hoping I can during my 2L and 3L. Will interning there help with the bands/scores/points?

Also, I know over 1000 apply for 20-40 spots. How many of the 1000 are clerks or people that have interned there? I am assuming they have the advantage? Unless I am horribly mistaken, which kills my dream to be a DA!

Thanks

I don't know exactly how previous internship experience helps you in the interviews. It may or may not give you a bump, but its definitely not a huge one nor a guarantee to go on to the next round. I've had friends who have interned at LADA their whole law school careers only to have been knocked out of the first round. Just know that not everyone who has interned at LADA will go on to get the job. Let's face it, anyone who has interned at LADA knows how ridiculously easy it is to get an internship. They make it a point to place you somewhere if you apply. I've heard a figure of around 700 interns in one summer. Do the math and go figure.

You are also going up against prosecutors from other counties looking to take a huge pay cut and lateral, prosecutors who have volunteered without pay, and other lawyers with years of experience. I agree it isn't right to put those individuals before LADA interns, but it really is a buyer's market. Dedication/loyalty really stopped meaning much after the recession happened.

My advice to you is not to go all in with LA in hopes of landing a job with them. It's good to get the experience, but I'd invest in other counties/career paths as well. Many of the LADAs that I've worked with had to work civil for a few years before making it and many of them did not get in on the first try. Do a Certified Law Clerk gig somewhere that will give you a lot of prelims and jury trials. Doing a jury trial as a student will definitely make you stand out. Get a good letter of rec from a DA grade IV or higher, or someone who has a good relationship with the administrative higher ups. Aside from that, many of the factors are probably out of your control. I can PM you with more details if you'd like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:29 pm

That is harsh! And makes sense. So would you recommend getting various experiences during law school? Maybe geared towards jury trials?

And yes, if you have more information could you PM me? My goal is to work at the LADA office but I don't know how feasible it is straight out of law school. I am open to working in other counties or other prosecution jobs (City Attorney etc)

Return to “Legal Employment”