Los Angeles District Attorney Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles District Attorney

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Has anyone else received an email for a third interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm

There were two categories of people who were live scanned. #1 group met with the DA. #2 group were placed on reserve. There were going to be additional classes. The first group (20-25) was going to start in May (now August). There would be two additional classes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There were two categories of people who were live scanned. #1 group met with the DA. #2 group were placed on reserve. There were going to be additional classes. The first group (20-25) was going to start in May (now August). There would be two additional classes.
Could you be more specific there? Are you saying that is actually what happened OR what the plan was?

To my knowledge, no one has had an interview with the DA yet, but you make it sound like some portion of those live scanned already met with the DA. So the people who were receiving emails for interviews yesterday are what - in the second group?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:39 pm

The people getting the emails are in Group 1. The ones that are meeting the DA. Group #2 will not meet the DA this go around. They are in the reserve group and will be considered for the 2nd or 3rd class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 29, 2014 9:48 pm

Do you know how many people are in group one? Group two? Is everyone who got live scanned getting an email that places them in one of these groups?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 12:54 am

I can see that I'm not the only one who feels like I'm just left hanging. I don't believe I've ever been left dangling this long by anyone for any reason prior to my pursuit of this job. I certainly hope all this will be worth it and I'll receive one of those coveted emails tomorrow!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 10:58 am

I received an email yesterday at 3:57 p.m. stating that I got a third round interview. Those who are still waiting, it seems that they are trickling out. Don't give up hope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Any more updates?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I received an email yesterday at 3:57 p.m. stating that I got a third round interview. Those who are still waiting, it seems that they are trickling out. Don't give up hope.
May I ask what day of the week yours is scheduled for? I'm just trying to figure out whether they're going chronologically and if they've reached the end. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 31, 2014 1:01 pm

No email. Should I give up hope?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 31, 2014 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an email yesterday at 3:57 p.m. stating that I got a third round interview. Those who are still waiting, it seems that they are trickling out. Don't give up hope.
May I ask what day of the week yours is scheduled for? I'm just trying to figure out whether they're going chronologically and if they've reached the end. Thanks!
Mine is for June 18th

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:04 pm

For the people who have received 3rd round interview offers, can you tell us when you interviewed for the 2nd round? I am hoping that the people who got interviewed earlier in the 2nd round process are getting the emails, and that they haven't gotten to the people who interviewed later in the process of Round 2.

I was put on a waitlist for my round 2 interview because of scheduling problems.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:08 pm

I was on the waitlist for the 2nd round interview and rec'd my third round email on the 28th. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The people getting the emails are in Group 1. The ones that are meeting the DA. Group #2 will not meet the DA this go around. They are in the reserve group and will be considered for the 2nd or 3rd class.
Could you be more specific, please. Are the people in group 2 also getting an email? And, do you know if they're done sending out emails for third round interviews? Y/N? Thanks so much!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The people getting the emails are in Group 1. The ones that are meeting the DA. Group #2 will not meet the DA this go around. They are in the reserve group and will be considered for the 2nd or 3rd class.
Could you be more specific, please. Are the people in group 2 also getting an email? And, do you know if they're done sending out emails for third round interviews? Y/N? Thanks so much!
I just received an email stating that the parties who will receive a third round interview have already been selected and that they anticipate future offers of employment to be extended off of the current certification list and therefore will conduct more interviews as necessary.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just received an email stating that the parties who will receive a third round interview have already been selected and that they anticipate future offers of employment to be extended off of the current certification list and therefore will conduct more interviews as necessary.
I got the same damn e-mail. I guess we're in the #2 waitlist group. Hopefully they'll open up another class and we'll get pulled in for a 3rd level interview at a later time.

Best of luck to those of you selected! For those of you who make it into the first class, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we'd be grateful to know how long it takes to get officially started.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:50 pm

For the people that were selected for a third round interview:
Do you mind telling us about your qualifications.
1. DA experience and # of years
2. Round 1 score
3. Extras
4. Applied previously? Year? How far did you get?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For the people that were selected for a third round interview:
2. Round 1 score
3. Extras

1. Interned for the same DA office (not LA) in high school, college, and clerked for two years during law school (full time during summers). After the bar exam I volunteered full-time for a high profile unit at LADA's HQ for 6 months.
2. 99
3. During my 3rd year of law school (out of state) I managed my own misdemeanor caseload at a DA's office in a large city. I tried bench and jury trials and appeared in court daily. I've been working in civil litigation for the last year and a half.
4. Did not apply previously.. I was still in law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:For the people that were selected for a third round interview:
2. Round 1 score
3. Extras
I don't want to sound harsh, but it probably isn't worth Monday morning quarterbacking this aspect of it. You need to just keep getting as much experience as you can and keep applying all over to get a DA job.

I'm only saying this because I didn't get a 3rd round and I scored 99.5% on round 1, have worked in various DAs offices for 1.5 years, and was in the top 10% of my law school class. It's a crapshoot. I've interviewed literally all over the state and finally got a job in another county, but there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some places I didn't even get a 1st interview and in others I was one of the highest ranked people (with basically the same application).

Just keep pounding the pavement and getting experience. Nothing else you can really do.

ETA: Don't want to imply that I feel entitled to a 3rd round. Just want to point out that there is no one thing that would have guaranteed it (such as having a high round 1 score).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
2. Round 1 score
3. Extras
I don't want to sound harsh, but it probably isn't worth Monday morning quarterbacking this aspect of it. You need to just keep getting as much experience as you can and keep applying all over to get a DA job.

I'm only saying this because I didn't get a 3rd round and I scored 99.5% on round 1, have worked in various DAs offices for 1.5 years, and was in the top 10% of my law school class. It's a crapshoot. I've interviewed literally all over the state and finally got a job in another county, but there is no rhyme or reason to any of it. Some places I didn't even get a 1st interview and in others I was one of the highest ranked people (with basically the same application).

Just keep pounding the pavement and getting experience. Nothing else you can really do.

ETA: Don't want to imply that I feel entitled to a 3rd round. Just want to point out that there is no one thing that would have guaranteed it (such as having a high round 1 score).
I agree. I didn't get a third interview and I have previous intern and volunteer experience with LADA, as well as 20 years litigation and civil service experience. There are so many factors that go into the selection process. I think it's important to remember that we've made it to their wait list for future interviews until a new application process starts in December 2015. It's a lot more than over 1000 other applicants can say at this point. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:07 pm

To the person who made the following post: "There were two categories of people who were live scanned. #1 group met with the DA. #2 group were placed on reserve. There were going to be additional classes. The first group (20-25) was going to start in May (now August). There would be two additional classes."

To your knowledge are there still going to be additional classes before the next application and if so how many?? Also any idea of when these classes would start?? If so, will they continue to pull from #1 group for these classes or start to pull people from #2 group also??

Many thanks :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:35 pm

I don't know. What I was told by an investigator is that the people who are not interviewed will be interviewed for the second and third class which will be formed later in the year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
2. Round 1 score
3. Extras

I agree. I didn't get a third interview and I have previous intern and volunteer experience with LADA, as well as 20 years litigation and civil service experience. There are so many factors that go into the selection process. I think it's important to remember that we've made it to their wait list for future interviews until a new application process starts in December 2015. It's a lot more than over 1000 other applicants can say at this point. :D

Thanks. That is helpful. I thought I did well. I have several years of DA experience and I didn't get a third interview. I was wondering if I had too much experience and they wanted someone younger and greener that they could mold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but...

I was told by someone who works in the LA DA's Office that they are only hiring people with actual experience as attorneys (either coming from the private sector or public, so long as they have post graduate experience)...for those who received third round interviews, do you have actual experience working as an attorney? Is there anyone out there who has been invited to the third round that does not have post graduate experience?

I only ask because (1) I have several years of experience interning and clerking with the DA's Office, and (2) I want to see if my source is providing reliable information.

Thank you, and best of luck to those in the third round.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:16 pm

Any advice for those of us who have upcoming third round interviews with Jackie Lacey?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”