Rejection after asking which location I would like to be?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alanbfish

Rejection after asking which location I would like to be?

Postby alanbfish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 pm

I've applied a dozen firms for 1L SA. Got replied by two, both asking where I would like to be located after graduation. I replied wherever I am needed. Got rejection within one day after I replied. Any thoughts why?

ben4847

Re: Rejection after asking which location I would like to be?

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:07 pm

alanbfish wrote:I've applied a dozen firms for 1L SA. Got replied by two, both asking where I would like to be located after graduation. I replied wherever I am needed. Got rejection within one day after I replied. Any thoughts why?

I'd guess they were looking for someone for their secondary market offices, and wanted someone who was committed to that city.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:07 pm

It could be that you picked a place where they will not need any 1L SA's, or perhaps the question was a mere formality, and the decision to reject you had already been made. No use in worrying about it. 1L SA's are extremely rare, so its not like you are behind the vast majority of students.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm

id say because it makes you sound like you have no life and no roots.. so whats to stop you from going to a different firm in a different city after draining the first firms resources while youre a first year associate with almost no lawyering skills whatsoever.. but that would just be my reason

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm

alanbfish wrote:I've applied a dozen firms for 1L SA. Got replied by two, both asking where I would like to be located after graduation. I replied wherever I am needed. Got rejection within one day after I replied. Any thoughts why?

Maybe it was unrelated, and the fact they asked was because they were reviewing your file at that moment in time. After getting that information, they added it to the pile of stuff they had on you and held a committee meeting later that day/early the next morning. So in essence, it was not your answer that really affected anything. Instead, the question was just an indicator of the progress you had made in review.

Or maybe they hated your answer and thought it showed a lack of dedication to any city. A lack of commitment, or worse, a lack of knowledge about what you wanted. Vague goals = greater chance of you being dissatisfied at their firm, and they weren't willing to take the chance on that. If you really did not care which city, and wanted to maintain flexibility, it might have been better to word it this way: "While I prefer City A because of x and y reason (family, great legal market, went to school there, whatever), I have always been fascinated by City B's x and y and would also enjoy living in a city as whatever blah blah as City B." You get the drift.

Or it could be for a number of other reasons...take your pick.

alanbfish

Postby alanbfish » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Nice analysis! Thanks a lot!!

DoubleChecks wrote:

Maybe it was unrelated, and the fact they asked was because they were reviewing your file at that moment in time. After getting that information, they added it to the pile of stuff they had on you and held a committee meeting later that day/early the next morning. So in essence, it was not your answer that really affected anything. Instead, the question was just an indicator of the progress you had made in review.

Or maybe they hated your answer and thought it showed a lack of dedication to any city. A lack of commitment, or worse, a lack of knowledge about what you wanted. Vague goals = greater chance of you being dissatisfied at their firm, and they weren't willing to take the chance on that. If you really did not care which city, and wanted to maintain flexibility, it might have been better to word it this way: "While I prefer City A because of x and y reason (family, great legal market, went to school there, whatever), I have always been fascinated by City B's x and y and would also enjoy living in a city as whatever blah blah as City B." You get the drift.

Or it could be for a number of other reasons...take your pick.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:20 pm

"Wherever I am needed" is like answering an interview question with "Well what do you want my answer to be."

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:25 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:id say because it makes you sound like you have no life and no roots.. so whats to stop you from going to a different firm in a different city after draining the first firms resources while youre a first year associate with almost no lawyering skills whatsoever.. but that would just be my reason

profound

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:09 pm

AreJay711 wrote:"Wherever I am needed" is like answering an interview question with "Well what do you want my answer to be."

Not really. I told this to a bunch of firms and didn't notice any difference in my callback/offer rate.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:15 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:"Wherever I am needed" is like answering an interview question with "Well what do you want my answer to be."

Not really. I told this to a bunch of firms and didn't notice any difference in my callback/offer rate.

I imagine it matters what the firm considers its own structure and selling points. If they only had two offices, DC and NY, and DC only did litigation and NY only did corporate, it would seem odd that you are equally interested in both. If the firm has several offices, all of which do basically the same thing, like say Jackson Lewis in labor law or Quinn Emmanuel in litigation, then it is more plausible. Those sorts of places you just want to work for the firm because of the type of work it does.

Return to “Legal Employment”