2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

take USAO job

yes
11
92%
no - look for small firm or corporation
1
8%
 
Total votes: 12

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was not offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby target » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Do you have anything special beside urm? Like IP or accounting certificate? Interest in litigation or transactional?

I think the position would give you some good experience, so I vote yes. Do you mind me asking which region is the office? PM if you prefer.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby LawIdiot86 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was no-offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.

Careful saying "no-offered". You weren't no-offered because you never had a position with a big firm. You didn't get a big firm position. Saying you were no-offered will make people think you had a big firm position and screwed it up somehow.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:40 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was no-offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.

Careful saying "no-offered". You weren't no-offered because you never had a position with a big firm. You didn't get a big firm position. Saying you were no-offered will make people think you had a big firm position and screwed it up somehow.



Thanks for the edit.

User avatar
holdencaulfield
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby holdencaulfield » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:01 am

Take the job. You'll get good experience, and your chances of finding something better before graduation aren't stellar.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:43 am

You got an offer to intern with the USAO?

They aren't going to hire you on graduation, so I'd look for a firm job of some sort.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was not offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.


I was this close to saying take the USAO gig (one in hand, worth two in bush) until I read that. Don't take the USAO job if your goal is corporate and you wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:11 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was not offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.


I was this close to saying take the USAO gig (one in hand, worth two in bush) until I read that. Don't take the USAO job if your goal is corporate and you wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.




Ok, I guess my main thing right now is that I really don't have that many alternatives at this point. Most of the corporations I've interviewed with/contacted don't seem that optimistic about hiring alot of legal interns this summer, and I sort of feel like I'm taking a big risk if I turn this gig down and shoot for one of those positions? Also, even though I don't want to be a prosecutor per se, I am interested in white collar crime so I think this could be a good experience for that.

I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby ggocat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?

No, you're pretty much screwed either way. ( :wink: j/k you'll find something).

If you think you want to work for a firm, though, and you have no law firm experience, I would try to get some firm experience this summer. There's still time for small firm hiring.

A few follow-up questions...
1. Is it paid?
2. Is it with the civil or criminal division or both? (I'm assuming crim from the prosecutor comment, but just want to clarify because you can get some good civil experience, as well).
3. Have they said anything about post-grad employment? (Almost no USAO internship leads to immediate post-grad employment, but a few USAOs hired through the DOJ honors program when I was in school).

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby leobowski » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Yeah is this a SLIP position? If so, you should take it immediately and never look back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:49 pm

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?

No, you're pretty much screwed either way. ( :wink: j/k you'll find something).

If you think you want to work for a firm, though, and you have no law firm experience, I would try to get some firm experience this summer. There's still time for small firm hiring.

A few follow-up questions...
1. Is it paid?
2. Is it with the civil or criminal division or both? (I'm assuming crim from the prosecutor comment, but just want to clarify because you can get some good civil experience, as well).
3. Have they said anything about post-grad employment? (Almost no USAO internship leads to immediate post-grad employment, but a few USAOs hired through the DOJ honors program when I was in school).



1. not paid but I can probably get a stipend from my school
2. criminal division (however I specified that I wanted to be in the white collar crime area)
3. no post-grad employment

-also they want me there for the whole summer so splitting it with a small firm on the side wouldn't be possible unfortunately.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was not offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.


I was this close to saying take the USAO gig (one in hand, worth two in bush) until I read that. Don't take the USAO job if your goal is corporate and you wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.




Ok, I guess my main thing right now is that I really don't have that many alternatives at this point. Most of the corporations I've interviewed with/contacted don't seem that optimistic about hiring alot of legal interns this summer, and I sort of feel like I'm taking a big risk if I turn this gig down and shoot for one of those positions? Also, even though I don't want to be a prosecutor per se, I am interested in white collar crime so I think this could be a good experience for that.

I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?


Wait, have you only been targeting corporate inhouse gigs after you struck out at BigLaw? A midsized-to-smaller firm with "corporate/transactional" practice (since Big Law is a tough proposition at this stage in the game) would be the way to do corporate work. Or do you consider "corporate law" "working with corporations" or the traditional definition (e.g., "transactional, governance, and M&A")?

Sorry if that rambled but I'm just a bit confused about what you are looking to do.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:27 pm

bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. take whats in front of you. then keep looking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:47 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys I gotta big decision to make and need some advice. I'm a urm and a 2L at a t20 school, slightly below median, who unfortunately was not offered for the big firms. Today I got an offer to work for the United States Attorneys Office for mid market city which I could see myself living in for a few yrs. Is this worth accepting now versus taking the risk of looking at other small firms/corporations assuming that something else could pan out?

I'm interested in corporate law and don't think I wanna be a prosecutor after I graduate. Thanx.


I was this close to saying take the USAO gig (one in hand, worth two in bush) until I read that. Don't take the USAO job if your goal is corporate and you wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.




Ok, I guess my main thing right now is that I really don't have that many alternatives at this point. Most of the corporations I've interviewed with/contacted don't seem that optimistic about hiring alot of legal interns this summer, and I sort of feel like I'm taking a big risk if I turn this gig down and shoot for one of those positions? Also, even though I don't want to be a prosecutor per se, I am interested in white collar crime so I think this could be a good experience for that.

I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?


Wait, have you only been targeting corporate inhouse gigs after you struck out at BigLaw? A midsized-to-smaller firm with "corporate/transactional" practice (since Big Law is a tough proposition at this stage in the game) would be the way to do corporate work. Or do you consider "corporate law" "working with corporations" or the traditional definition (e.g., "transactional, governance, and M&A")?

Sorry if that rambled but I'm just a bit confused about what you are looking to do.



Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I've been targeting both in house gigs and smaller firms, and yes I'm looking to do "corporate/transactional" work after graduation. However, my options are also very open at this point and my main goal essentially is to get with a mid/big law firm post grad. My ultimate goal long term is go in house some day or manage a corporation in even a non-legal role.

So yeah I guess in the short term - I just need something to put on my resume that will be valuable for me as a 3L in reapplying for some of these firms. Hopefully the USAO gig will do the job.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11728
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby kalvano » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:51 pm

I'll amend my earlier statement given the extra information that has been provided. I am interning for the USAO this spring, and I've had multiple potential employers comment on it in a favorable light. It certainly won't hurt you; the USAO is known to be somewhat selective, even for interns. It reflects positively on you as a potential employee, and everyone I've spoken who has done it has had wonderful things to say about it.

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: 2L employment decision advice - prosecutor v. corporate

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:I was this close to saying take the USAO gig (one in hand, worth two in bush) until I read that. Don't take the USAO job if your goal is corporate and you wouldn't want to be a prosecutor.




Ok, I guess my main thing right now is that I really don't have that many alternatives at this point. Most of the corporations I've interviewed with/contacted don't seem that optimistic about hiring alot of legal interns this summer, and I sort of feel like I'm taking a big risk if I turn this gig down and shoot for one of those positions? Also, even though I don't want to be a prosecutor per se, I am interested in white collar crime so I think this could be a good experience for that.

I guess my main worry is - do you think that taking this job could handicap me for next year as a 3L in applying for firms?


Wait, have you only been targeting corporate inhouse gigs after you struck out at BigLaw? A midsized-to-smaller firm with "corporate/transactional" practice (since Big Law is a tough proposition at this stage in the game) would be the way to do corporate work. Or do you consider "corporate law" "working with corporations" or the traditional definition (e.g., "transactional, governance, and M&A")?

Sorry if that rambled but I'm just a bit confused about what you are looking to do.



Thanks, sorry for the confusion. I've been targeting both in house gigs and smaller firms, and yes I'm looking to do "corporate/transactional" work after graduation. However, my options are also very open at this point and my main goal essentially is to get with a mid/big law firm post grad. My ultimate goal long term is go in house some day or manage a corporation in even a non-legal role.

So yeah I guess in the short term - I just need something to put on my resume that will be valuable for me as a 3L in reapplying for some of these firms. Hopefully the USAO gig will do the job.


Gotcha. Well, I guess if you have some time to accept the offer, send out a few more apps. If you can't find something, then take it, I guess.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.