1L summer references- email

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stewie27

1L summer references- email

Postby stewie27 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:37 pm

One of the references that I'm using for 1L summer job applications is a former professor. CSO tells us to provide both an email and phone number as contact info for our references. He's on sabbatical this semester so probably wouldn't answer his office phone. He gave me his home number and also suggested that anyone use email to contact him (they could set up a time to talk via phone that way too). My question, is there a way to suggest on my list of references that they contact him via email? Would that look weird? I feel bad putting his home number.

ran12

Re: 1L summer references- email

Postby ran12 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:06 pm

stewie27 wrote:One of the references that I'm using for 1L summer job applications is a former professor. CSO tells us to provide both an email and phone number as contact info for our references. He's on sabbatical this semester so probably wouldn't answer his office phone. He gave me his home number and also suggested that anyone use email to contact him (they could set up a time to talk via phone that way too). My question, is there a way to suggest on my list of references that they contact him via email? Would that look weird? I feel bad putting his home number.

Just list his office number and when they can't reach him they'll email him.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:43 am

Is it common to email references? I'd never even heard of that until this year.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 am

I actually only supplied email addresses and it was fine.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:32 am

most reference checking is a rubber stamp anyways, you aren't going to provide a reference that is going to slam you. I had all email references for a job, wasn't an issue in the least.

Return to “Legal Employment”