Advice on how to tell 2nd firm of offer from 1st firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice on how to tell 2nd firm of offer from 1st firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 am

Hello,

Last Friday, I received an offer for a SA position from Firm A (In a smaller market that is not my goal market). They said I have two weeks to make a decision.

Today, I just had an interview with Firm B in my ideal market. I told my contact at firm B about my offer from firm A prior to my interview with firm B in order to schedule the interview faster through e-mail correspondence, but it seems my contact at firm B did not read this e-mail since when I was at the interview, he was vague about a timeline for getting back to me and said to let him know of other offers I receive.

My question is: How should I bring up to my contact in firm B about my offer with firm A which I have about a week and a half left to respond. Should I just mention it in my e-mail where I thank firm B for the interview and ask if theres any way to get a decision by next friday or should I call my contact at firm B directly to discuss it even though I had previously mentioned it (but did not remention it in person at the interview since the timing seemed a little awkward to mention it again). Thanks!

(Firm B is also my top choice, and I would choose it if given the opportunity. I just do not want to have to be at next friday with no word on a decision from firm B).

Any input is appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: Advice on how to tell 2nd firm of offer from 1st firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:07 am

Interested too. bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I worked as a paralegal for 2 years at a NLJ250 firm before law school and knew the recruiting department pretty well. From my conversations with them, it is my understanding that most law firm recruiting departments are aware that law students aren't only applying to one firm, especially in this economy where students are attempting to maximize their chance at employment.

I also have an offer from a different NLJ 250 in a secondary market and have other applications pending. The way I have communicated the offer to my pending applications has been to simply call the legal recruiting manager/firm contact and state the following: "Hello, I wanted to call and let you know that I have received an offer from another law firm for a summer associateship. Although fortunate to have this opportunity, your law firm remains my top choice for X reasons (specific practice area interests/strengths, location, firm culture, etc.) and I would prefer to work at your firm this upcoming summer.

From my experience doing this, if the law firm is truly interested in you, most of the recruiters will say that they greatly appreciate you calling about the other offer because it allows them to prioritize your application and not lose the opportunity to make you an offer and have you work for them.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you so much! Perfect answer to my question :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Thank you so much! Perfect answer to my question :)

Return to “Legal Employment”