2L Grades Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2L Grades

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:25 am

2L grades after fall semester dropped by .35
I had a very high high GPA to begin with, but I went from top 10% to around top 40%. I don't know what happened...
Should I be worried about no offer from my V25 firm? FYI, i go to a T50.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L grades after fall semester dropped by .35
I had a very high high GPA to begin with, but I went from top 10% to around top 40%. I don't know what happened...
Dude you're gonna get no-offered. Sorry bro. I'd start applying for some internships right now during the school year so maybe you can scrounge up a small firm offer for after graduation somehow.

Also check your credit score. If you have bad credit, you can get no offered.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:2L grades after fall semester dropped by .35
HTH.

[edit: Agent here. Sorry for the accidental anon.]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:19 pm

Based on what I saw during last fall's OCI at my school (MVP), Cravath and Skadden do put a bit more emphasis on fit than, say, S&C and DPW. Based on what I heard/inferred, Cravath and Skadden were more inclined to reject some people with very high GPA's (top 10%) and also to dig a little deeper into the class for those whose personalities suited their firm, whereas DPW and S&C seemed to accept almost everybody above a certain grade threshold (maybe top 15% for DPW and top 5-10% for S&C). My impression when Interviewing at all of these firms reinforced this theory - my interviews at S&C and DPW felt like formalities because my grades were very high and I am not socially crippled (one partner even said, "I'm sure you'll have a lot of offers since your grades are so high"), but I got the sense that my personality and temperament were being closely gauged at Cravath and Skadden.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Based on what I saw during last fall's OCI at my school (MVP), Cravath and Skadden do put a bit more emphasis on fit than, say, S&C and DPW. Based on what I heard/inferred, Cravath and Skadden were more inclined to reject some people with very high GPA's (top 10%) and also to dig a little deeper into the class for those whose personalities suited their firm, whereas DPW and S&C seemed to accept almost everybody above a certain grade threshold (maybe top 15% for DPW and top 5-10% for S&C). My impression when Interviewing at all of these firms reinforced this theory - my interviews at S&C and DPW felt like formalities because my grades were very high and I am not socially crippled (one partner even said, "I'm sure you'll have a lot of offers since your grades are so high"), but I got the sense that my personality and temperament were being closely gauged at Cravath and Skadden.
I think this is bullshit largely based on the rates of rejections post-callback: DPW rejects 2/3s of its callbacks and Cravath offers almost everyone. I don't think "fit" is what's at play here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:40 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Based on what I saw during last fall's OCI at my school (MVP), Cravath and Skadden do put a bit more emphasis on fit than, say, S&C and DPW. Based on what I heard/inferred, Cravath and Skadden were more inclined to reject some people with very high GPA's (top 10%) and also to dig a little deeper into the class for those whose personalities suited their firm, whereas DPW and S&C seemed to accept almost everybody above a certain grade threshold (maybe top 15% for DPW and top 5-10% for S&C). My impression when Interviewing at all of these firms reinforced this theory - my interviews at S&C and DPW felt like formalities because my grades were very high and I am not socially crippled (one partner even said, "I'm sure you'll have a lot of offers since your grades are so high"), but I got the sense that my personality and temperament were being closely gauged at Cravath and Skadden.
I think this is bullshit largely based on the rates of rejections post-callback: DPW rejects 2/3s of its callbacks and Cravath offers almost everyone. I don't think "fit" is what's at play here.
At CLS DPW does have an offer/callback rate of .3 But Cravath is more like .6. S&C is ~100%

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”