2L Grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L Grades

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 pm

If I have a job lined up for the summer and I'm assuming I will get an offer, what do my 2L and 3L grades matter for, besides clerkships which I am not interested in?

LawIdiot86

Re: 2L Grades

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I have a job lined up for the summer and I'm assuming I will get an offer, what do my 2L and 3L grades matter for, besides clerkships which I am not interested in?

If you're assuming you'll get an offer, then no worries, slack off and let some other people move up the curve. I wouldn't though. Can't predict the economy, the strength of your firm, where you'll want to be in five years, etc. Plus, you could be at a firm like GDC which cares about grades or go to a firm like GDC. My OCS counselor was telling me that in another life as a headhunter, they had a GDC-class firm request transcripts of a potential lateral partner.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 pm

WTF is a "'GDC' Class firm?" DLA Piper?

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:WTF is a "'GDC' Class firm?" DLA Piper?

A firm of the same general size and prestige level as GDC.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:

A firm of the same general size and prestige level as GDC.

In other words, GDC.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I have a job lined up for the summer and I'm assuming I will get an offer, what do my 2L and 3L grades matter for, besides clerkships which I am not interested in?

'Dat PRESTIGE! Don't fight it: you were BORN and BRED for SUCCESS and ACHIEVEMENT!

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:18 am

*begin race to the bottom on no-offer stories for grades going down*

I heard GDC kills your puppy if your GPA doesn't go up by .034.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am

I'm going anon in order not to out myself. Classmates know who am on here.

What's the general consensus about the V5 and grades. They all seem to have close to 100% offer rates, but some of them can very very grade grubby during the application process (S&C, Davis Polk) while others (Cravath) seem a little bit more about fit (although they require pretty heavy-duty grades).

Which ones seem to care about grades during the summer?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going anon in order not to out myself. Classmates know who am on here.

What's the general consensus about the V5 and grades. They all seem to have close to 100% offer rates, but some of them can very very grade grubby during the application process (S&C, Davis Polk) while others (Cravath) seem a little bit more about fit (although they require pretty heavy-duty grades).

No one really knows unless they were no-offered from one of those firms for specifically that reason, in which case they wouldn't be posting about it here. When you get an offer from your firm, it isn't like the partner or recruiter says "well hmm... you did good work and your grades stayed around where they should be, so you get an offer."

Just keep your grades up. Shouldn't be too hard for you when it's at least slightly easier to get them 2L and 3L years, and when you know how to gun perfectly well since you got your job in the first place.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 am

Do any firms revoke your SA from 2L grades?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do any firms revoke your SA from 2L grades?

Use the search feature. This question gets asked over, and over, and over, and over. No reason to be anon either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:44 pm

My V10 never asked for 2L grades before giving me an offer. I asked the hiring partner at one point and was told they literally just check that you graduate. I imagine however this varies from firm to firm.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 pm

one of the best poasts on this site. 180

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:16 pm

YourCaptain wrote:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

double poast

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
YourCaptain wrote:

please pm so we can be FRIENDS

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going anon in order not to out myself. Classmates know who am on here.

lol wtf you talkin' bout

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:41 pm

I can confirm that GDC has requested the law school transcript of a lateral partner ~30 years out of law school. Though this seems to have been meant to just confirm that said partner actually went to, and graduated from, the law school on their resume.

Similarly, i've heard of them grade requesting all SA's, but i've never heard of a no-offer because of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm that GDC has requested the law school transcript of a lateral partner ~30 years out of law school. Though this seems to have been meant to just confirm that said partner actually went to, and graduated from, the law school on their resume.

Similarly, i've heard of them grade requesting all SA's, but i've never heard of a no-offer because of it.

I can confirm this confirmation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 pm

IAFG wrote:

lol wtf you talkin' bout

At my school the median callback gpa at Cravath was lower than any of the other V5. It's still high, but not as high as S&C or Davis Polk. Plus Cravath's day long interviews and willingness to dig deeper into the gpa pool than its peers indicate that it's at least a little less about numbers and more about fit.

That's what I'm talking about.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

lol wtf you talkin' bout

At my school the median callback gpa at Cravath was lower than any of the other V5. It's still high, but not as high as S&C or Davis Polk. Plus Cravath's day long interviews and willingness to dig deeper into the gpa pool than its peers indicate that it's at least a little less about numbers and more about fit.

I don't agree that the fact that Cravath has to dig deeper means that they're looking at fit. I think it reflects the fact that Cravath has a shitty reputation among law students relative to other V5s (and V10s for that matter).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:

lol wtf you talkin' bout

I don't agree that the fact that Cravath has to dig deeper means that they're looking at fit. I think it reflects the fact that Cravath has a shitty reputation among law students relative to other V5s (and V10s for that matter).

Look. I don't really care about this one way or another, but we're talking callbacks, not acceptances.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm

YourCaptain wrote:

Old memes are still funny, BROTHER

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Look. I don't really care about this one way or another, but we're talking callbacks, not acceptances.

What does that show? Cravath deferred people like crazy and doesn't pay better bonuses than market (obviously). They also have a scary reputation for being a sweatshop. In my circle of friends, no one who got the Cravath offer took it, and I also know two people who summered there last summer and aren't going back (and not because they didn't get offers). Cravath dips deeper (on callbacks) because they have to.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Never underestimate the lengths through which a prestige whore will go to rationalize bad hours and poor pay for perceived reputation.

Return to “Legal Employment”