Professional Reference List

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
drmguy

Professional Reference List

Postby drmguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 pm

First off, what should the makeup of the reference list look like? I was going to have my previous employer, an undergrad professor and a law professor.

Is there a number of references I should be looking to have?

Lastly, should I automatically ask the law professor that gave me the highest of my grades or should I also account for how well I got to know the person? Should I give any weight to the subject(doctrinal vs. writing)?

LawIdiot86

Re: Professional Reference List

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:16 pm

drmguy wrote:First off, what should the makeup of the reference list look like? I was going to have my previous employer, an undergrad professor and a law professor.

Is there a number of references I should be looking to have?

Lastly, should I automatically ask the law professor that gave me the highest of my grades or should I also account for how well I got to know the person? Should I give any weight to the subject(doctrinal vs. writing)?

Account for how well you know the professor. Standard rule says to give 3, but I always give 6. Didn't matter until someone googled me after an interview for an internship, found a stupid article from college involving a petty student club dispute, called me in for a second interview to question me on it, and then said they were calling all of my references to make sure it wasn't indicative of my character. I got the offer and attribute it to how open I was both in explaining the situation and in giving them plenty of people who would say it was a stupid non-C&F dispute.

Return to “Legal Employment”