IP Law: Worth finishing up science courses?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whatchoicetomake

IP Law: Worth finishing up science courses?

Postby whatchoicetomake » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 pm

Last edited by whatchoicetomake on Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johndhi

Re: IP Law: Worth finishing up science courses?

Postby johndhi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:14 pm

First, you're a fucking beast if you're considering going to community college during law school.

Anyway, I recommend against it. I don't want to make any guarantees, but top 25% at a T14 and science cred should definitely be enough to get you a biglaw IP litigation gig. The patent bar is for patent prosecution, which people tend to think is fucking boring. If you're really planning on litigation, forget about it and focus on staying in the top 25 or improving if you can. FYI I'm nearly top of class at lower T14 and got offers from (IMO) the two strongest IP litigation firms in California. I have friends at median who got IP litigation gigs through superlative interviewing. So work on that and keep trucking at school and good luck. We left science for a reason bro! :)

Emu Flu

Postby Emu Flu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:11 pm

I would just do it after your start working. I've noticed some patent litigators get a BS degree while working to get the patent bar credential.

The registration number is primarily for patent prosecution, but there are many litigation-alternative strategies available that require practice before the USPTO.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:59 am

whatchoicetomake wrote:Post removed by OP, so Agent follows suit with the quote

Need more info about your technical abilities. Inclined to say that you should just focus on law grades and networking.
Last edited by Agent on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:39 am

If you did pass the pat bar, then you could definitely throw that on as an extra line on your resume that looks good.
Interviewers will know it means little to nothing in litigation - as Emu Flu said, it is primarily for patent prosecution
However, many clients won't really know what it is good for and it will be a selling point for partners to say to say, "Hey, even our litigators have passed the patent bar! that's how hax we are!"

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:59 am

turbotong wrote:If you did pass the pat bar, then you could definitely throw that on as an extra line on your resume that looks good.
Interviewers will know it means little to nothing in litigation - as Emu Flu said, it is primarily for patent prosecution
However, many clients won't really know what it is good for and it will be a selling point for partners to say to say, "Hey, even our litigators have passed the patent bar! that's how hax we are!"

I've been told on interviews that passing the patent bar provides some benefits to litigators, so they encourage everyone who is eligible to take it. So I suppose being eligible is just another plus for the candidate (over one who isn't).

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
turbotong wrote:If you did pass the pat bar, then you could definitely throw that on as an extra line on your resume that looks good.

I've been told on interviews that passing the patent bar provides some benefits to litigators, so they encourage everyone who is eligible to take it. So I suppose being eligible is just another plus for the candidate (over one who isn't).

It's definitely a plus. Every firm I interviewed with last year corroborated as such. Many of the litigators (almost all) at my firm have it, despite not doing any prosecution. For litigators (from a client's perspective), it often serves as a proxy for an understanding of the prosecution system. Thus, a client can be assured that you understand the underlying prosecution issues in a litigation, etc., notwithstanding whether you actually practice before the patent bar.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Agreed that a registration number is a plus-- but the extent of its positive impact will depend, in part, on your technical background.

The question, of course, is whether that benefit will outweigh the costs, as your law grades and activities will probably take a hit. Need more info.

Return to “Legal Employment”