1L summer job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L summer job

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:47 pm

I've heard that it doesn't matter much.

I was seriously thinking about dropping out after 1st semester at a lower T14 school because I thought I bombed the finals.

I didn't apply for any 1L summer jobs over winter break.

Got my grades back, and I'm around top 10%.

Is there still a chance to snag a job?

And if I can't and I have to RA with a professor will it come back to haunt me?

r6_philly

Re: 1L summer job

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:53 pm

Doesn't your school have spring OCI or job fairs? With that kind of grade you would be able to get a good look by some employers. Go bug career services tomorrow.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Just try. You dont lose anything by trying.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:57 pm

r6_philly wrote:Doesn't your school have spring OCI or job fairs? With that kind of grade you would be able to get a good look by some employers. Go bug career services tomorrow.

Not sure on this, and not sure if I can rely on staying in the top 10% after 2nd semester.

And I'll drop in to career services but school hasn't started yet.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Doesn't your school have spring OCI or job fairs? With that kind of grade you would be able to get a good look by some employers. Go bug career services tomorrow.

Not sure on this, and not sure if I can rely on staying in the top 10% after 2nd semester.

But you transcript is 10% right now, so use that for your advantage to land a 1L summer job. Email/call your career services, maybe they are back at work earlier. I was able to meet with ours before we started this semester. In the mean time, get your materials polished up and start applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:12 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But you transcript is 10% right now, so use that for your advantage to land a 1L summer job. Email/call your career services, maybe they are back at work earlier. I was able to meet with ours before we started this semester. In the mean time, get your materials polished up and start applying.

Thanks a lot.

Worst case scenario -- I end up as a research assistant for a professor, will that hurt me for biglaw?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:20 pm

There's still plenty of time to get a job. A lot of smaller firms and companies don't even start hiring until March and April. But if you're an RA, no it won't hurt you. You just need something legal so you have something to talk about during OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks a lot.

Worst case scenario -- I end up as a research assistant for a professor, will that hurt me for biglaw?

your grades are the number 1 most important thing, followed by a journal.

having a job is important your 1L summer, however, where that job is is not of paramount importance. just make sure you have a job.
would an article III internship look better than ra-ing for a professor? yes. but top 10% and lr is an easy ticket for big law at a t14.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:your grades are the number 1 most important thing, followed by a journal.

having a job is important your 1L summer, however, where that job is is not of paramount importance. just make sure you have a job.
would an article III internship look better than ra-ing for a professor? yes. but top 10% and lr is an easy ticket for big law at a t14.

If (and a big if) you land a decent 1L SA and are invited back, it makes OCI that much better. So not all 1L summer jobs are equal. It only doesn't make a whole lot of difference if the job you get for 1L is not one you would be ok with for 2L/Post grad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:your grades are the number 1 most important thing, followed by a journal.

If (and a big if) you land a decent 1L SA and are invited back, it makes OCI that much better. So not all 1L summer jobs are equal. It only doesn't make a whole lot of difference if the job you get for 1L is not one you would be ok with for 2L/Post grad.

Isn't 1L SA pretty much impossible to get?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Impossible because too many applicants and few open spots, not because impossible like it's actually impossible. So you could land one based on merit, or luck, or both.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Impossible because too many applicants and few open spots, not because impossible like it's actually impossible. So you could land one based on merit, or luck, or both.

Thanks.

Another question.

When some internship position asks for 1-2 letters of recommendations...what do we use?

I haven't cultivated any relationships with a law school professor...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

Another question.

When some internship position asks for 1-2 letters of recommendations...what do we use?

College professors or bosses from WE are fine for a 1L summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:21 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks.

Another question.

College professors or bosses from WE are fine for a 1L summer.

Do I have to ask them for LOR or can I use the one in the LSAC database? Ugh...

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Do I have to ask them for LOR or can I use the one in the LSAC database? Ugh...

Um, you have to ask them. I don't even know how you would go about having LSAC send it. And it would be the wrong tone altogether (why you wanted to go to law school, not why you are a good worker).

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:

pretty sure that's exactly what that person is saying. an art III internship > RA for professor.

Sure - a 1L SA looks great, but usually it's attained through good grades (unless its a connection - in that case the connection is the determining factor). So most important thing is to get good grades. After that, the most important part of the 1L job is having it. Having something to talk about in a thoughtful and intelligent way from that job is the next most important part. Otherwise, as someone who went through 29 screeners, got 20 cbs, and ended up with 8 offers after 10 cbs, grades and journal are THE most important (although anyone could've told you that).

I also had a solid 1L job and relevant work experience. Grades and journal were always the first thing discussed or complimented.

Return to “Legal Employment”