1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:52 pm

What research should I have done going into a preliminary interview with a firm?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm

I'd research their practice areas, surely you are expected to tell them why you are interested in the firm and what they do.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What research should I have done going into a preliminary interview with a firm?

Read their website career section, their NALP form, if they are ranked, their Vault and Chambers pages, read through the bios on the website of your interviewers. If you know what practice you'll be in, see if there are any alums from your school in it and read the practice bio on their website.

johndhi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby johndhi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What research should I have done going into a preliminary interview with a firm?

Read their website career section, their NALP form, if they are ranked, their Vault and Chambers pages, read through the bios on the website of your interviewers. If you know what practice you'll be in, see if there are any alums from your school in it and read the practice bio on their website.


This, but I'd recommend against trying to meet up with people/talk to people who work there prior to your interview, since in my experience namedropping folks I knew at the firm never seemed to work for me.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 pm

It would be nice to know about any unique programs or services they offer to clients. Also, don't just familiarize yourself with their SA program, look into how they train/develop their 1st, 2nd, 3rd year etc. associates. You might find some talking points there.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:27 pm

johndhi wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What research should I have done going into a preliminary interview with a firm?

Read their website career section, their NALP form, if they are ranked, their Vault and Chambers pages, read through the bios on the website of your interviewers. If you know what practice you'll be in, see if there are any alums from your school in it and read the practice bio on their website.


This, but I'd recommend against trying to meet up with people/talk to people who work there prior to your interview, since in my experience namedropping folks I knew at the firm never seemed to work for me.


There are two schools of thought here, but one strategy is to call the alums and ask their advice on the firm. What they've gone through, why they picked it, etc. You don't have to drop names in the interview, but knowing what the average associate thinks is special about the firms gives you a leg up to the stupid question.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: 1L BigLaw Summer Pre-Interview Research

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:02 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:
There are two schools of thought here, but one strategy is to call the alums and ask their advice on the firm. What they've gone through, why they picked it, etc. You don't have to drop names in the interview, but knowing what the average associate thinks is special about the firms gives you a leg up to the stupid question.


I found it to be a really good way to get the interviewer involved by asking them why they chose the firm. Sounding genuinely interested but no inside knowledge actually makes you appear more natural instead of canned. Any one can do research and find out some general consensus of why the firm is good, but expressing why the firm is good for you (put the good things in context) is going to make you stand out.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.