Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:56 am

Subject says it all. Think dream firm. Is is too overbearing or desperate? If you have strong opinion, tell me why you think so. And if you think it's okay to do, any suggested way to get that across? Thanks!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:dream firm

Why

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:03 am

Grizz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:dream firm

Why

Location, pay, firm size, type of law, culture. That about sums it up.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby 071816 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 am

Just write a strong cover letter and leave it at that. Don't get all weird. Besides, there are probably tons of other firms out there just like your "dream" firm.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:08 am

chimp wrote:Just write a strong cover letter and leave it at that. Don't get all weird. Besides, there are probably tons of other firms out there just like your "dream" firm.

Also as a 1L you probably don't really know what you really want.


Master Tofu
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Master Tofu » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 am

1. Send picture with you in said firm's apparel and a caption that reads : "Yes, we look this good together".
2. Profit?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273385
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:25 pm

I'd be somewhat careful about this. When I was a law student, I thought that a particular firm was my number one choice. I didn't note that in my cover letter, but I did mention it during my OCI. I was fortunate to get several interviews and callbacks, and during the process I got to know another firm that I liked much more than my "dream firm." That became very problematic when I received offers from both the firm I thought was my first choice and the other firm. I ended up accepting the offer from the other firm and the "dream firm" was NOT happy about it.

If you've got the stats to get an interview with your top choice, it wont hurt to be enthusiastic about liking the firm in your interview, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference to say it's your top choice. Plus, in the event that you change your mind, you wont have to worry about pissing the firm off.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd be somewhat careful about this. When I was a law student, I thought that a particular firm was my number one choice. I didn't note that in my cover letter, but I did mention it during my OCI. I was fortunate to get several interviews and callbacks, and during the process I got to know another firm that I liked much more than my "dream firm." That became very problematic when I received offers from both the firm I thought was my first choice and the other firm. I ended up accepting the offer from the other firm and the "dream firm" was NOT happy about it.

If you've got the stats to get an interview with your top choice, it wont hurt to be enthusiastic about liking the firm in your interview, but I'm not sure it really makes a difference to say it's your top choice. Plus, in the event that you change your mind, you wont have to worry about pissing the firm off.

Did you have a thread about this a few months ago? When you say they weren't happy, can you elaborate more for our benefit?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Subject says it all. Think dream firm.


Probs the creepiest thing I've heard in the employment forum.

LawIdiot86
Posts: 1159
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:57 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Subject says it all. Think dream firm.


Probs the creepiest thing I've heard in the employment forum.


I has between five and ten dream firms during my recruitment time. They usually were the highest paying/highest ranked firms in my field that I was called back to, until they declined me and I moved on to rationalize that another firm was really my dream.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby 005618502 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Master Tofu wrote:1. Send picture with you in said firm's apparel and a caption that reads : "Yes, we look this good together".
2. Profit?


Wow I might actually do this to a firm or 2 just for fun**

**only if other acceptable offer has been put on the table

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

I CAME TO THIS THREAD TO HELP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

I AM HELPING

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 pm

thesealocust wrote:I CAME TO THIS THREAD TO HELP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

I AM HELPING


Bro...

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Subject says it all. Think dream firm.


Probs the creepiest thing I've heard in the employment forum.


+1

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Grizz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I CAME TO THIS THREAD TO HELP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

I AM HELPING


Bro...

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo


;_;

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Tell firm in a cover letter that they're your first choice?

Postby Renzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Grizz wrote:
thesealocust wrote:I CAME TO THIS THREAD TO HELP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

I AM HELPING


Bro...

Sup Kid wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo


You guys got it all wrong.

This is helping:

http://www.focus.de/finanzen/karriere/b ... d_971.html




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.