How bad is it to take a big hit on GPA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad is it to take a big hit on GPA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 pm

2L. *Had a great GPA. Just got grades back for 2 out of 4 classes and one was amazingly low. Seriously shocked. Lowest grade I've recieved in my life, unfortunately, has to come at the worst time. Anyways, I'm assuming the other two won't be so amazing as to offset the damage here.

How do employers view a rogue bad-grade generally? Am I fucked basically?

5ky

Re: How bad is it to take a big hit on GPA?

Postby 5ky » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L. *Had a great GPA. Just got grades back for 2 out of 4 classes and one was amazingly low. Seriously shocked. Lowest grade I've recieved in my life, unfortunately, has to come at the worst time. Anyways, I'm assuming the other two won't be so amazing as to offset the damage here.

C's aren't great. Don't make it a trend, and you'll probably still be fine.

protip: 1L would've been the "worst time," not 2L.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:18 am

What firm are you going to? Is it Gibson?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:21 am

desertlaw wrote:What firm are you going to? Is it Gibson?

Gibson requires 2Ls to have professors send grades directly to the firm and not give them to students first, so that can't be it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:22 am

OP Here: Not big law. Midsized firm. Got raped in OCI (I'm in a t-20, top 25% but meh). So basically unless I get offered at this firm when I graduate, I need to keep looking for employment and I'm worried that this grade has basically destroyed my life.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

OP here: Also what if I get another C or something? I mean I might just be freaking out here. But the remaining grades that haven't come out yet were two of my toughest classes. What if I got totally raped? I'm so worried :\

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 am

You should stop saying "raped" and pull your shit together in the spring.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: Also what if I get another C or something? I mean I might just be freaking out here. But the remaining grades that haven't come out yet were two of my toughest classes. What if I got totally raped? I'm so worried :\

(1) I really wouldn't refer to it as rape if I were you, it's impolitic for a bazillion reasons. No bueno even when you're anon on the internet.

(2) It's unlikely anything bad will happen to you. No-offers due to grades are nearly apocryphal.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:What if I got totally raped?

Call the police; get counseling.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 pm

OP, seriously, stop using the word "rape" to describe an unfortunate semester; it is not going to help you garner any sympathy on these boards.
Work your ass off this spring, work your ass off this summer, be genuine, congenial, and indispensable at your SA. If the firm asks, explain that the grade was an outlier and detail all the things you did in the spring to avoid a repeat performance.

For your own sake, check yourself on impolitic diction, lest that tank your shot at a permanent offer. Seriously, even anon on the internet, your use of the word "rape" in this context is offensive and suggests you don't have the best judgment.
(I know you are down, OP, and I am rooting for you this summer. It is my [relatively uninformed] opinion you can probably overcome the bad grade with the right performance/ spin given that firms spend a lot of money on SAs, presumably so that they can check ppl out as permanent hires, and it doesn't make financial sense to ding an otherwise OK person for one bad grade. This also suggests that you shouldn't give them any other reasons to ding you.)

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:OP, seriously, stop using the word "rape" to describe an unfortunate semester; it is not going to help you garner any sympathy on these boards.
Work your ass off this spring, work your ass off this summer, be genuine, congenial, and indispensable at your SA. If the firm asks, explain that the grade was an outlier and detail all the things you did in the spring to avoid a repeat performance.

For your own sake, check yourself on impolitic diction, lest that tank your shot at a permanent offer. Seriously, even anon on the internet, your use of the word "rape" in this context is offensive and suggests you don't have the best judgment.
(I know you are down, OP, and I am rooting for you this summer. It is my [relatively uninformed] opinion you can probably overcome the bad grade with the right performance/ spin given that firms spend a lot of money on SAs, presumably so that they can check ppl out as permanent hires, and it doesn't make financial sense to ding an otherwise OK person for one bad grade. This also suggests that you shouldn't give them any other reasons to ding you.)

+1.

I get the impression that it's harder to swing a post-SA offer from midlaw than it is from biglaw (hopefully I'm wrong... let's see if anyone chimes in), so I think you're right to be concerned- just keep it at a healthy level. I'll be rooting for you. Stay cool, study hard, and network.

Some links that might be helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:25 pm

OP Here: Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm really, really worried about the remaining two grades to come out. So far I have one good grade and one that is a C+. I'm meeting with my professor tomorrow to talk about it. Blegh. =(. Literally having nightmares at the prospect of having two Cs in one semester...oh god..

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2L. *Had a great GPA. Just got grades back for 2 out of 4 classes and one was amazingly low. Seriously shocked. Lowest grade I've recieved in my life, unfortunately, has to come at the worst time. Anyways, I'm assuming the other two won't be so amazing as to offset the damage here.

the worst time would have been last year, quit being dramatic

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 pm

OP Here: Good point, obviously not THE worst time, but not exactly a great time either. Anyways, I talked to my professor and it seems like the really short answer format tripped me up. Basically, I wrote answers in a way where it was like "ok I have 400 words, I'm done" instead of covering all the issues. Good lesson for the future.

Return to “Legal Employment”