What counts as "diversity" for positions? Is that just URM?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What counts as "diversity" for positions? Is that just URM?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:12 pm

Firms don't really seem to state it very clearly. Any clarification would be appreciated!

LawIdiot86

Re: What counts as "diversity" for positions? Is that just URM?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firms don't really seem to state it very clearly. Any clarification would be appreciated!

Firms may vary, especially when it comes to diversity scholarships/fellowships, but for things like getting into diversity hiring fairs or applying and claiming diverse status:

African-American
Asian-American
Hispanic
Physical disability
Mental disability
LGBT
Female

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Wait, female is actually considered diverse? o_o

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, female is actually considered diverse? o_o

See the bottom of http://registration.vault.com/legaldiversity/:
The 6th Annual Vault/MCCA Legal Diversity Career Fair will provide minority, female, GLBT, and candidates with disabilities with the opportunity to meet and network with recruiters from law firms, government agencies, corporate law departments and non-profit organizations who are firmly committed to increasing diversity in the legal profession.

It varies from fair to fair; I know the Rockies fair doesn't count female, but I think generally it is counted.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:53 pm

from the people i know who got diversity spots for 1L diversity programs, its a much, much broader range than URM. Basically if you have anything that isn't white male, give it a go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Not trying to thread hijack, but does anyone know what kind of GPA from a T14 is competitive for a diversity scholarship?

I have two of my grades from Michigan, both A-s. I'm hoping for at least a B in the remaining class. Are those grades high enough?

Are grades even the main factor?

gators88

Postby gators88 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 pm

I think for NALP forms, anything that is tracked on NALP can help. If a firm has big fat zero in one of the boxes, their recruiting people may be on the lookout for candidates to fill that box.

If past classes or the firm as a whole have significantly more men than women, then being female could be a very very slight boost.

NALP forms track gender, openly LGBT, disabled, and all the races.

Don't think it helps much, but when a firm has had a glaring deficiency for a long time, and decides they are ready to correct it, it could help.

Of course, it could be inferred that such a firm simply has no desire to hire diverse candidates.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, female is actually considered diverse? o_o

Legit true story, my uncle used to be a partner at a V20 that has a diversity scholarship. Right around when they first started girls were applying, and the first year or so they had this program a white female applicant came in for a callback, and the typical protocol is to have the most senior minority partners interview, along with juniors who are minorities. Anyway, this firm had a black dude who was basically on the cover of all the firm's brochures, and after interviewing her, he straight up walked to HR and told them if this was their idea of bringing in diverse candidates then he was leaving. They adjusted the criteria to "racial and ethnic minorities" shortly thereafter.

Return to “Legal Employment”