Does it look bad to intern in a diff country for 1L summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does it look bad to intern in a diff country for 1L summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:06 pm

So I'm an asian american at a T-25 and I would like to do something related to China + IP when I graduate.

I was wondering if I went to intern in Beijing for the summer, whether that looks bad to American firms? I don't want to box myself in but I have solid connections and can get a summer job there.

Any advice on how that would look to employers would be really appreciated!

Metaread

Re: Does it look bad to intern in a diff country for 1L summer?

Postby Metaread » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

Are you going to be in China for the whole summer, or somewhere between 6-10 weeks? Because if it's the latter, you could split your summer with an American firm/judge/government agency, etc.

gators88

Postby gators88 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm

I was in an Asian country last summer, after 1L. I have no ties or background in the region and had no real reason to go. I had an awesome time but got some negative feedback during OCI. Still ended up locking down a NYC Vault SA though.

jlxbos

Postby jlxbos » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 am

pretty sure it doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you do your 1L summer. i went abroad for the summer and know others who did as well, and we all have sa positions lined up. just be able to talk it up and sell it as a great experience (even if it turns out it wasn't) and you'll be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment”