soliciting donations from your firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

soliciting donations from your firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm

I belong to the public interest organization at my school, and every year the organization has two big fundraising events. I will be working at a big law firm next summer. At the first event, fundraising was lackluster, so I agreed to ask my firm to contribute, and they did. I'm not really asking about whether that was kosher although I suppose it would be good to know if it was not. They seemed completely fine with it, and I don't see anything wrong with it given that I am a lowly peon who they could easily say no to (I had already accepted their offer).

The issue is with the fundraising for the second event. I am in charge of it, and my firm has donated in the past, so they are likely to give again if asked. Somehow I feel weird about asking again, though. I'm not sure what the etiquette is here. Would it be weird for me to ask again?

Mce252

Silver

Re: soliciting donations from your firm?

Post by Mce252 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Have someone else ask?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I wouldn't ask. I may be hard-hearted and entirely self-interested, but until I have that offer in my hand after the summer, I would not ask the firm for anything. Charitable donations, time off, bar dues, etc., can all wait until I'm actually in the door.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Mce252 wrote:Have someone else ask?
+1 to this suggestion.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I think you were fine to ask once. I would not do twice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:07 pm

The Human Fund - Money for People

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Kind of OT, but I went to go into one of the PI organization's meetings to snag some free food and I basically got chased out because everyone knew I had a BigLaw SA lined up. I felt very unwelcome. That said, I certainly would't have expended a whole lot of effort doing any fundraising work for them, so fair is fair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”