1L Firm Offer Predicament

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Firm Offer Predicament

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I have been offered a 1L summer associate position at V50 law firm in its home market, which is where I am from originally. It's one of the big 3 firms in the state and nothing to sneeze at nationally. It will set me up beautifully for 2L interviews.

The problem is that if I accept for 1L summer and then, get offered for 2L, I am required to spend a month at the firm during their program dates, which run between May and July. Normally, this would not be a problem if I was splitting with another firm in the market or ultimately wanted to end up in this market. However, I am 98% sure I will not live in this market after graduation (although I am from there). I more than likely would like to bid on firms 2L year in Chicago or DC. While I have little ties to Chicago, I am at MVP and have significant ties to DC having worked and lived there over the years.

I really want work for the firm and enjoyed being there, but this commitment is major...

Any advice?

Re: 1L Firm Offer Predicament

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been offered a 1L summer associate position at V50 law firm in its home market, which is where I am from originally. It's one of the big 3 firms in the state and nothing to sneeze at nationally. It will set me up beautifully for 2L interviews.

The problem is that if I accept for 1L summer and then, get offered for 2L, I am required to spend a month at the firm during their program dates, which run between May and July. Normally, this would not be a problem if I was splitting with another firm in the market or ultimately wanted to end up in this market. However, I am 98% sure I will not live in this market after graduation (although I am from there). I more than likely would like to bid on firms 2L year in Chicago or DC. While I have little ties to Chicago, I am at MVP and have significant ties to DC having worked and lived there over the years.

I really want work for the firm and enjoyed being there, but this commitment is major...

Any advice?

Honestly I wouldn't turn down an offer for Chicago if you have no ties. Just going to Michigan isn't enough. DC is another matter. If you have amazing grades, DC is a real option. But otherwise, from MVP level schools, DC is very picky.

Is splitting with a firm in another market not an option? I know it's generally not a good idea, but I've heard doing a victory lap at a 1L firm is somewhat of an exception with the "No Splitting Rule." Someone who knows what they are talking about should reply.

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have been offered a 1L summer associate position at V50 law firm in its home market, which is where I am from originally. It's one of the big 3 firms in the state and nothing to sneeze at nationally. It will set me up beautifully for 2L interviews.

Any advice?

What advice do you need?

Take the 1L offer. Work there as a 1L. You'll go through OCI at the end of your 1L summer. Decide if you want to return to the firm as a 2L after the summer.

Am I missing something? Is the firm asking you to commit for 1L and 2L right now?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 am

Desert Fox wrote:Is splitting with a firm in another market not an option? I know it's generally not a good idea, but I've heard doing a victory lap at a 1L firm is somewhat of an exception with the "No Splitting Rule." Someone who knows what they are talking about should reply.

It would actually be good if OP said the market. Guessing Texas ("Big 3"), but not sure.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 am

OP. Yes, the market is Houston.

It's not as simple as nouseforaname made it out to be. Essentially, if I do well this summer and get offered for my 2L summer, I am required to spend several weeks with that firm during their program dates which run from May-July. Can't do it in August and can't start before their dates.

This causes a problem during OCI because a firm not in the TX market would have to let me split, and potentially, start after their orientation (which apparently, many firms don't allow students to do).

Obviously, getting a 2L offer from where I intern during 1L is hard, but it's seems that not getting offered is bad for OCI.

I hope that explains the predicament a little better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP. Yes, the market is Houston.

It's not as simple as nouseforaname made it out to be. Essentially, if I do well this summer and get offered for my 2L summer, I am required to spend several weeks with that firm during their program dates which run from May-July. Can't do it in August and can't start before their dates.

This causes a problem during OCI because a firm not in the TX market would have to let me split, and potentially, start after their orientation (which apparently, many firms don't allow students to do).

Obviously, getting a 2L offer from where I intern during 1L is hard, but it's seems that not getting offered is bad for OCI.

I hope that explains the predicament a little better.

Congrats. I believe we have the same offer from the same firm! As its probs the only v50 home firm in Texas that's handing out offers so far (at least I don't have any grades yet, so other firms aren't doing this yet). My understanding from the convo with the recruitment director was that only four weeks are required, if a 2L offer is extended. Most firms I've spoke to in NYC and around Texas seem more than willing to allow us to split that second summer--especially if we're bound by a commitment to return for a bit.

My impression is that people are understanding of Texas' tendencies.

ETA: I paralegaled at a V10 NYC firm for two years, and most Texas people would come in the second part of the summer. Also, bear in mind that some summer programs only run split part 2 of the summer (July-Aug)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP.

It's not as simple as nouseforaname made it out to be. Essentially, if I do well this summer and get offered for my 2L summer, I am required to spend several weeks with that firm during their program dates ...

if you accept their 2L offer.

The way that this should work is that you will work for this firm summer 2012. At the end of the summer they will likely extend you an offer for 2L summer (2013). At that point (Jul/Aug 2012) you'll need to make a decision about working for this firm summer 2013. You should not be worried about summer 2013 right now. All you are committing to right now is what to do with summer 2012.

Unless there is something you are not telling us, you are not making a decision about summer 2013 right now. You can put off that decision until the end of summer 2012. Lots of 1L's decline offers to return to their firms as 2L's.

Just to be sure, please clarify: Is the firm specifically asking you to commit for summer 2012 AND 2013 right now?

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:35 am

^^^^

Accidentally hit anon.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 am

This subject is moot. OP is going to realize that $160k in Houston is like $250k in DC and will stay in Texas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:48 pm

OP. I'm obviously very terrible at explaining the problem. If given an offer for 2L, I am REQUIRED to take it. It's not an option not to take it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:06 pm

From my experience, lots of Texas firms tell you that you have to come back for 4 weeks as a 2L, but I know at least a few 1Ls who didn't come back for 2L anyway even though they got an offer. I mean, it's not like the firm wants to pay you for 4 weeks next summer if you are really 100% sure you don't want to come back and tell them as much. Also, other returning 1Ls came back for four weeks whenever they could fit them in (like at the end of the summer or really early in the summer). Your 2L firm will work around it-- no one is going to think of it as a bad thing that you had a firm job 1L and got an offer, believe me.

Take your offer. It will all work out.

TrampsLikeU$

Postby TrampsLikeU$ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to be anonymous.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:08 pm

Any 4 weeks in the summer? Might be possible to do say a 10 week program in NYC then 4 in TX.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Grizz wrote:Any 4 weeks in the summer? Might be possible to do say a 10 week program in NYC then 4 in TX.

Anonymous User wrote: a month at the firm during their program dates, which run between May and July

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP. I'm obviously very terrible at explaining the problem. If given an offer for 2L, I am REQUIRED to take it. It's not an option not to take it.

I don't understand how this could be required. You can't be forced into accepting an offer. It seems like the month in 2L summer is only required if you accept their offer after 1L. But if you go through OCI and are given an offer with a preferred firm/location, can't you just accept that and decline the 1L firm's offer?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:22 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Grizz wrote:Any 4 weeks in the summer? Might be possible to do say a 10 week program in NYC then 4 in TX.

Anonymous User wrote: a month at the firm during their program dates, which run between May and July

Ah beginning of the summer for 4 weeks will be a problem. That said, I still don't believe OP that he HAS to come back of offered. That's ridiculous.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:27 pm

its a law firm.. they cant make you come back for a second summer.. thats just what they say so you dont just take 25k and split.. what exactly would they do if you say okay and then don't go back? if you don't plan on taking an offer there for full-time employment thats really the only card they have to take away anyway

all of this unless there are more details that aren't being shared

p.s. in a market with three large firms and being 1L means you're an idiot for publicly posting this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 pm

berkeleykel06 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP. I'm obviously very terrible at explaining the problem. If given an offer for 2L, I am REQUIRED to take it. It's not an option not to take it.

I don't understand how this could be required. You can't be forced into accepting an offer. It seems like the month in 2L summer is only required if you accept their offer after 1L. But if you go through OCI and are given an offer with a preferred firm/location, can't you just accept that and decline the 1L firm's offer?

Texas firms tell their 1L SA's that a month is required in the 2L summer if the 2L wants an offer for permanent, post-grad employment. OP is possibly confused by this?

I had two SA offers from the Texas Big 3 and this is the first I've heard of a 1L being required to commit for 2L summer as a 1L applicant.

Return to “Legal Employment”