1L Judicial Internship Question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Judicial Internship Question

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:01 pm

What is the upside of accepting a judicial internship? Understandably it betters having nothing legal for the summer, and that it is a talking point at OCI. What else?

luckyduck

Bronze

Re: 1L Judicial Internship Question

Post by luckyduck » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

I met a ton of attorneys. It helped me understand evidence. I'm more comfortable in a court and in front of a judge than some of my peers. I kept my writing skills sharpened.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Interested in this as well. I am still waiting to hear back from my applications to judges around my school and where I'm from. I have a firm gig lined up and ultimately want to be in private practice upon graduation, but I think a judicial internship could really provide some good experiences.

On that note, does anybody know about split summers with the judicial internships?

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:46 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
On that note, does anybody know about split summers with the judicial internships?
I just accepted a judicial internship, and the judge is being very flexible with timing. Said I can do first half, second half, or all summer, and I've got a couple of weeks to decide. That being said, I think it depends on the judge. You'll have to wait and see and bring it up in interviews.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:02 pm

judges are good mentors. theyre good people to know, especially if it's a smaller community and theyre well-regarded there. finally, if your judge allows you to help them with cases, youll see a lot of interesting stuff. at least with fed judges you generally get a good mix of crim and civil, and within those two you get a good mix of material.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:49 am

OP. Thanks for the input. One very nice thing about this particular internship, the judge made it clear that if something better comes long, not a problem. This is probably because she has two or three interns. Out of curiosity, how many interns does a metropolitan district judge usually have?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”