2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
wintersm05
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby wintersm05 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 am

Is anyone a non-Texas native?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas whether all the LL flyback invites are already out? Would be kinda disappointed not to get one... :\


I'm turning my down, so maybe they might make a few more?

I'm the guy who already has two offers from better firms.



Keeping fingers crossed. I am hoping I get one as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How did it go? Want grades?


It went excellently. They did not want my 1L grades.
Nice! So I'm guessing you accepted the offer they were begging you to take? See you there this summer?!
I did accept the offer. Though there are some assumptions about me that might not be very accurate.

This is the same poster of the first who mentioned the FR interview. Wanted to clear the air and say that the "off color" remark was not mine. All the other direct FR questions have been though. Again, congrats!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did everyone who applied to Haynes Boone receive the "fast track" program invitation to interview? Or is that an indication of specific interest?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did everyone who applied to Haynes Boone receive the "fast track" program invitation to interview? Or is that an indication of specific interest?
I have not heard anything from Haynes. I know other people who have received other offers that haven't heard anything as well.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:25 pm

Wow felt like a mad baller turning down the LL flyback invite.

Sorry g00ns, flight takes too long from NY, and I'm maxed out on my ability to interview anymore--plus other firms are going to want an answer probs by the time LL flyback takes place (assuming an offer comes out in the next few weeks).

Here's hoping one of the 10 firms I interviewed at gives me SOMETHING. But my grades are coming back and they're starting to suck so I probs won't get anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Applied to all big law Texas firms, and got resume rejected from Bracewell. Decided on not going to the Locke Lord after seeing grades. Is being at median from a T4 in Texas basically mean it's not worth my time applying for a 1L firm job?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Applied to all big law Texas firms, and got resume rejected from Bracewell. Decided on not going to the Locke Lord after seeing grades. Is being at median from a T4 in Texas basically mean it's not worth my time applying for a 1L firm job?


yes, most likely

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:31 am

At CCN, offer at BB and VE Houston without grades, also non-Texan. I know people with offers at F&J, BB, VE and Bracewell Houston all w/out grades.

EDIT: Edited to specify that I applied on Dec 1st.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:At CCN, offer at BB and VE Houston without grades, also non-Texan. I know people with offers at F&J, BB, VE and Bracewell Houston all w/out grades.



Sucks that now im realizing how much I missed out on not taking the LSAT seriously.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At CCN, offer at BB and VE Houston without grades, also non-Texan. I know people with offers at F&J, BB, VE and Bracewell Houston all w/out grades.



Sucks that now im realizing how much I missed out on not taking the LSAT seriously.


This, but "listening to CDO telling me not to bother as a 1L and waiting till after finals to apply."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At CCN, offer at BB and VE Houston without grades, also non-Texan. I know people with offers at F&J, BB, VE and Bracewell Houston all w/out grades.

EDIT: Edited to specify that I applied on Dec 1st.


Grats. Native Texan here at MVPB with what I think is an above average resume and all I've had was LL tell me to send grades when I get them and VE let me know that I was under review. Like an idiot I didn't send anything out until the end of December after finals. I wonder if that or the school tier is what's primarily accounting for the difference in our results.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At CCN, offer at BB and VE Houston without grades, also non-Texan. I know people with offers at F&J, BB, VE and Bracewell Houston all w/out grades.

EDIT: Edited to specify that I applied on Dec 1st.


Grats. Native Texan here at MVPB with what I think is an above average resume and all I've had was LL tell me to send grades when I get them and VE let me know that I was under review. Like an idiot I didn't send anything out until the end of December after finals. I wonder if that or the school tier is what's primarily accounting for the difference in our results.



I think it is the school Tier. I attend MVPB as well, and a URM - and had the same responses as you did.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Not everyone is including their work experience or possible hard science background. I feel like this info would go a long way in explaining why some people are getting offers without grades, and others are getting kind of a timid response. I really doubt that Texas firms draw any kind of significant delineation between say, Michigan and NYU, but I may be wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Bracewell houston and another firm in Houston sent me a rejection before the first of January..Something about their quotas being filled for the summer. So if I have mediocre grades first semester, doesn't that mess me up as far as 1L and 2L SA positions? Since all they'll have to look at will be last semesters grades and this semester and there's only so much that can be done to balance out bad grades the first semester.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell houston and another firm in Houston sent me a rejection before the first of January..Something about their quotas being filled for the summer. So if I have mediocre grades first semester, doesn't that mess me up as far as 1L and 2L SA positions? Since all they'll have to look at will be last semesters grades and this semester and there's only so much that can be done to balance out bad grades the first semester.


Pretty much. Unfortunately, a lot of the biglaw path depends on your first year grades, but if the first semester doesn't really turn out like you hope there's still the possibility of kicking ass second semester to turn things around.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Well it seems like I got a soft ding from Locke Lord based on this tread since they didn't ask me to interview. I didn't think I would get the job anyway but just hoped it might signal my interest for 2L OCI maybe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell houston and another firm in Houston sent me a rejection before the first of January..Something about their quotas being filled for the summer. So if I have mediocre grades first semester, doesn't that mess me up as far as 1L and 2L SA positions? Since all they'll have to look at will be last semesters grades and this semester and there's only so much that can be done to balance out bad grades the first semester.


Pretty much. Unfortunately, a lot of the biglaw path depends on your first year grades, but if the first semester doesn't really turn out like you hope there's still the possibility of kicking ass second semester to turn things around.




Even then it wouldn't average out to a gpa they would find favorable, like assuming being median first semester and then being #1 the second semester, would still only be like top 25% wouldnt it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell houston and another firm in Houston sent me a rejection before the first of January..Something about their quotas being filled for the summer. So if I have mediocre grades first semester, doesn't that mess me up as far as 1L and 2L SA positions? Since all they'll have to look at will be last semesters grades and this semester and there's only so much that can be done to balance out bad grades the first semester.

Pretty much. Unfortunately, a lot of the biglaw path depends on your first year grades, but if the first semester doesn't really turn out like you hope there's still the possibility of kicking ass second semester to turn things around.

Even then it wouldn't average out to a gpa they would find favorable, like assuming being median first semester and then being #1 the second semester, would still only be like top 25% wouldnt it?


Not necessarily--you may well be higher, depending on the distribution of grades in your class/school--just because your GPA would be an average of the two does not mean that your class rank would also be an average of the two. Plus, top 25% is competitive at many schools, and almost a shoo-in at others...even if your school isn't one of those, top 25% still means you'll probably at least get a job.


AreJay711 wrote:Well it seems like I got a soft ding from Locke Lord based on this tread since they didn't ask me to interview. I didn't think I would get the job anyway but just hoped it might signal my interest for 2L OCI maybe.

Feeling this way, too...how many people have heard back from LL? I realize that silence seems to be the standard practice, but the firms that don't bother even to acknowledge receiving an application or to inform an applicant of rejection can seriously go fuck themselves. That says a good deal to me about the firms, and (though they won't care) I'll take my well-credentialed ass elsewhere next summer, to a place that at least pretends we're something other than pieces of meat.

/rant

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Bracewell Houston offer today. Anyone else?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm

I just found out I ranked #3 in my class. How should I supplement my application to the big firms I already applied to to tell them this? I've already updated with grades

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell Houston offer today. Anyone else?

Is Bracewell Houston first half or the whole summer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell Houston offer today. Anyone else?

Is Bracewell Houston first half or the whole summer?


Bracwell Houston is 2nd half

Is there anyway we can compile this information on here? I didn't take notes and I forgot who does which half summers and which does whole summers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell Houston offer today. Anyone else?

Is Bracewell Houston first half or the whole summer?


Bracwell Houston is 2nd half

Is there anyway we can compile this information on here? I didn't take notes and I forgot who does which half summers and which does whole summers.


Hmm... most of top 3 give you the option for a whole summer or to split if you'd like (with minimum 6-8 week committment).
V&E Houston
Baker Botts Dallas

I believe Fulbright Houston/Dallas is weird first half--like an awkward 6-8 weeks that makes splitting anywhere else impossible, lol, but not sure.

Baker Botts, V&E, and Fulbright do have follow-up summer requirements.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273109
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell Houston offer today. Anyone else?

Is Bracewell Houston first half or the whole summer?


Bracwell Houston is 2nd half

Is there anyway we can compile this information on here? I didn't take notes and I forgot who does which half summers and which does whole summers.



this isnt right; the website says Bracewell Houston is 9-weeks. I think only Bracewell Dallas is second half

--LinkRemoved--




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.