2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm

congrats guys! that's an IP firm right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi guys, got a top 3 offer in Houston yesterday afternoon (without any grades).

A DIFFERENT top 3 firm in Dallas just called to extend an offer after I submitted one grade (which is the only grade I've received so far, but they asked me to send them in as I got them).

Probably going to split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Congrats to those that have received offers. I did not even hear a peep from these folks. I just received a ton of invites to receptions and that's about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Already had my FR interview.
How did it go? Want grades?

It went excellently. They did not want my 1L grades.
So FR is making offers without 1L grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Already had my FR interview.
How did it go? Want grades?

That is what it seems like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:05 pm

To those that have received offers, what was the turn around time between interviewing? Also, did you all send "Thank you letters"?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Also, Bracewell Houston said they would be making offers without grades. Happening starting Monday they said, as interviews wrap up this week on Fri. I asked this during my interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

:shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To those that have received offers, what was the turn around time between interviewing? Also, did you all send "Thank you letters"?

Thanks

I didnt do thank you letters. A couple associates from BB who I went to lunch with said they are super annoying even though they just delete them if they're email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Texas law

Sent out cover and resume Dec. 1

No interviews, a few reception invites.

Grade requests from all firms to which resumes were sent including BB, VE, Locke Lord, FJ and maybe a couple of others that I can't remember of the top of my head.

Still have no grades though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To those that have received offers, what was the turn around time between interviewing? Also, did you all send "Thank you letters"?

Thanks

The recruiter at one top firm I was offered at specifically recommended against sending thank you letters to the interviewers.

Turn around time was 1.5 weeks after the first interview for 1st offer, and 3 days after the interview for the 2nd offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Did everyone who applied to Haynes Boone receive the "fast track" program invitation to interview? Or is that an indication of specific interest?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

:shock:

Yes, but I did have to send them a transcript of my undergraduate grades. I graduated summa cum laude in a science/engineering field.

Thanks

About 2-3 weeks between first resume sending and the interview.

Anonymous User wrote:congrats guys! that's an IP firm right?

Yes, it is the top IP firm =D

Anonymous User wrote:Nice! So I'm guessing you accepted the offer they were begging you to take? See you there this summer?!

I did accept the offer. Though there are some assumptions about me that might not be very accurate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I did accept the offer. Though there are some assumptions about me that might not be very accurate.

That's awesome! Did they say how many they were taking? Also, how long after the interview was the offer made? Finally, is it for full or half summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 pm

what's the deal with locke lord's flyback interview? i go to school on the east coast, and i told them i would only be in town until today. They called me today and left a voicemail asking if I'd be interested in a flyback interview. I'm going to say no if they expect me to pay for the flight/rental car.

I haven't called them back yet. Do they pay for the flight/hotel/transportation?

ETA: I'm from a rural part of Texas, and while I have family in the city I can stay with, I have to arrange my own transportation in the city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That's awesome! Did they say how many they were taking? Also, how long after the interview was the offer made? Finally, is it for full or half summer?

All I know is that there is at least one 2L signed up to start at the firm as well. If you're wondering, I (or the 2L guy) did not take your potential "spot" but that is all I can say without revealing too much. Good luck!

maximator

Postby maximator » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what's the deal with locke lord's flyback interview? i go to school on the east coast, and i told them i would only be in town until today. They called me today and left a voicemail asking if I'd be interested in a flyback interview. I'm going to say no if they expect me to pay for the flight/rental car.

I haven't called them back yet. Do they pay for the flight/hotel/transportation?

ETA: I'm from a rural part of Texas, and while I have family in the city I can stay with, I have to arrange my own transportation in the city.

Paying for your flight and one night in a hotel is standard for callback interviews at big firms. They will also reimburse you for the cost of cabs, reasonably-priced meals, etc.

If you want to confirm or whatever, don't be afraid to ask the recruiter - it's their job to answer these sorts of questions and it won't hurt your application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what's the deal with locke lord's flyback interview? i go to school on the east coast, and i told them i would only be in town until today. They called me today and left a voicemail asking if I'd be interested in a flyback interview. I'm going to say no if they expect me to pay for the flight/rental car.

What office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What office?

Houston

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What office?

Houston

Were you at the reception? I was, and got asked informally about my dates. I didn't think they'll remember though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What office?

Houston

Were you at the reception? I was, and got asked informally about my dates. I didn't think they'll remember though.

I didn't go to any receptions for any firms. In my coverletters I told them when I'd be in town.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 pm

Any ideas whether all the LL flyback invites are already out? Would be kinda disappointed not to get one... :\

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas whether all the LL flyback invites are already out? Would be kinda disappointed not to get one... :\

I'm turning my down, so maybe they might make a few more?

I'm the guy who already has two offers from better firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas whether all the LL flyback invites are already out? Would be kinda disappointed not to get one... :\

I'm turning my down, so maybe they might make a few more?

I'm the guy who already has two offers from better firms.

I'm the quoted person--are you the summa cum laude IP guy? Now wondering whether TX biglaw is similar to CA firms in that they hire only 1L SA's with IP interests/background.

I feel so clueless...sent apps out late and haven't had even a nibble...I know I was late, but c'mon Biglaw...top 10% at a T14... I want just a little love :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm the quoted person--are you the summa cum laude IP guy? Now wondering whether TX biglaw is similar to CA firms in that they hire only 1L SA's with IP interests/background.

I feel so clueless...sent apps out late and haven't had even a nibble...I know I was late, but c'mon Biglaw...top 10% at a T14... I want just a little love :(

CA big law firms are indeed hiring IP 1Ls. Interviews before grades.

Return to “Legal Employment”