2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yellowmellow

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Postby yellowmellow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else at UT get an email from Andrews Kurth encouraging them to bid/drop a resume to them during Spring OCI? Trying to figure out if it was mass-mail or definitely worth using a bid on them...

I got one too. Although it was specifically addressed to me in the body "Dear X," so maybe it wasnt sent to that many people. /wishful thinking

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:31 am

Which biglaw firms are first-half firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Which biglaw firms are first-half firms?

Great Question!

Can people post which ones they know for sure?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Which biglaw firms are first-half firms?

Great Question!

Can people post which ones they know for sure?

Bracewell Houston 2nd Half

Fulbright Full Summer (or split)
V&E Full Summer (or split)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

Does anyone know what kind of grades you need from UT to get an SA with either VE, Locke, or FJ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what kind of grades you need from UT to get an SA with either VE, Locke, or FJ?

3.5+ will get you in the door. Other things (like Texas ties for 1Ls, especially) play a big role after that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 am

wow you only need a 3.5 for a 1L SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:36 pm

I have a 1L SA offer. only 3.3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:49 pm

From UT or a better school? Ties to TX? I have nearly a 3.9 and haven't heard anything yet.

TXIPLitigator

Postby TXIPLitigator » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what kind of grades you need from UT to get an SA with either VE, Locke, or FJ?

3.5+ will get you in the door. Other things (like Texas ties for 1Ls, especially) play a big role after that.

It's safe to say that the vast majority of UT 1Ls getting an SA (or even a serious shot - not just an interview, which many big Texas firms give out to UT 1Ls like candy) at one of the big Texas firms have GPAs north of 3.8. Having a 3.5 might work if you have something else going for you (EE UG/MS, URM, connections, etc.).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a 1L SA offer. only 3.3
Anonymous User wrote:From UT or a better school? Ties to TX? I have nearly a 3.9 and haven't heard anything yet.

Yes, from UT or a better school. Yes, ties to TX. Having real skills and experience that no one else has is valuable to law firms. It is not only about the GPA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 pm

After the first semester, I am the top ranked 1L at my law school in Oklahoma. Does anyone know the likelihood of me getting an interview for a big Dallas firm? I know that the schools in Oklahoma are not ranked like SMU and UT, but I am from there originally and I rocked my first semester grades (3 As and 1 A-) with two awards for highest exam.

As a preemptive strike, yes, I concede the law schools in OK are not the greatest. Move on TLS.

Thoughts on my chances?
I have several years work experience, and I graduated from a top 25 undergrad school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After the first semester, I am the top ranked 1L at my law school in Oklahoma. Does anyone know the likelihood of me getting an interview for a big Dallas firm? I know that the schools in Oklahoma are not ranked like SMU and UT, but I am from there originally and I rocked my first semester grades (3 As and 1 A-) with two awards for highest exam.

As a preemptive strike, yes, I concede the law schools in OK are not the greatest. Move on TLS.

Thoughts on my chances?
I have several years work experience, and I graduated from a top 25 undergrad school.

unlikely, most 1L SA spots go to T14 with TX ties, URMs, and top grades at UT/SMU (or HYP undergrad). At my HYS alone, we had 6 different people interview at 5+ biglaw firms in Dallas (many of whom have received multiple offers already). That being said, you'll probably kick butt at OCI next year!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else at UT get an email from Andrews Kurth encouraging them to bid/drop a resume to them during Spring OCI? Trying to figure out if it was mass-mail or definitely worth using a bid on them...

Which office?

btw, anybody know how big Hayboo's fast track class usually is??

Im pretty sure Hayboo's FT class is usually from 20-30 peeps (cant remember where I read that)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

btw, anybody know how big Hayboo's fast track class usually is??

Im pretty sure Hayboo's FT class is usually from 20-30 peeps (cant remember where I read that)

Accurate. According to what they said at our massive interview we had early January.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After the first semester, I am the top ranked 1L at my law school in Oklahoma. Does anyone know the likelihood of me getting an interview for a big Dallas firm? I know that the schools in Oklahoma are not ranked like SMU and UT, but I am from there originally and I rocked my first semester grades (3 As and 1 A-) with two awards for highest exam.

Thoughts on my chances?

unlikely, most 1L SA spots go to T14 with TX ties, URMs, and top grades at UT/SMU (or HYP undergrad). At my HYS alone, we had 6 different people interview at 5+ biglaw firms in Dallas (many of whom have received multiple offers already). That being said, you'll probably kick butt at OCI next year!

Same at CCN. Multiple offers all over from Dallas and Houston--the one thing that all the offers have in common is that they're from the top 5 firms in Texas. URM, CCN, HYP, Texas Ties are common to the people who have the multiple offers. ITE, you don't need one or two of these to get a job, you need all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thoughts on my chances?

--the one thing that all the offers have in common is that they're from the top 5 firms in Texas.

I've talked to a few recruiting coordinators over the past week and many of them hope to be done hiring by next friday. A large portion of the Big 3 1L SA class' come from T14 pre-grades

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thoughts on my chances?

--the one thing that all the offers have in common is that they're from the top 5 firms in Texas.

I've talked to a few recruiting coordinators over the past week and many of them hope to be done hiring by next friday. A large portion of the Big 3 1L SA class' come from T14 pre-grades

I can confirm this for Big 3 Houston's offices. Haven't been in touch with Dallas ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm this for Big 3 Houston's offices. Haven't been in touch with Dallas ones.

This makes sense from a logical perspective. Why the fuck would Big 3 go after Texas people for 1L summer? They know Texas schools will inevitably come for them, regardless, during OCI. Where else can Texas law school kids go? I view this 1L summer trend like HBs Fast Track--a device to gather up T6 Texans before they get lost in NYC/DC OCI and never come back to texas.

I believe almost EVERY Big 3 requires 1Ls to return as 2Ls for at least part of the summer.

QED.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:09 pm

The OP about Oklahoma 1L here...

Any advice on some mid-level firms that might consider a top ranked Oklahoma student?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:The OP about Oklahoma 1L here...

Any advice on some mid-level firms that might consider a top ranked Oklahoma student?

most mid-level firms don't take 1L SA's (they just dont have enough money to pay someone to do basically nothing). I think you're best bet for finding a 1L SA is applying to OK firms (even though they don't pay market); i interviewed with a few there and most of them are waiting until March/April to hire

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The OP about Oklahoma 1L here...

most mid-level firms don't take 1L SA's (they just dont have enough money to pay someone to do basically nothing). I think you're best bet for finding a 1L SA is applying to OK firms (even though they don't pay market); i interviewed with a few there and most of them are waiting until March/April to hire

TITCR

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 pm

i've heard about two different offers extended by Big 3 H-town firms today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i've heard about two different offers extended by Big 3 H-town firms today

T-14, T6, or HYS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i've heard about two different offers extended by Big 3 H-town firms today

T-14, T6, or HYS?

HYS

Return to “Legal Employment”