2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 pm

I hadn't seen one of these for this year, so I figured I would start one. Any significant movement on Texas firms yet? I was kind of late in getting my resume sent out, but so far I've got several send us your grades when you have them (FJ Houston, Graves Dougherty Austin) a few under review emails from others (VE, BB, Locke Lord) and an invitation to interview for the HayBoo 1L fast track program.

Lower T14 with 2 years WE, grades not released yet. Native Texan with UT undergrad.

Anonymous User

Re: 2012 Texas Biglaw Summer 1L Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks for creating this thread! Get some info going here so we can be jealous of one another :) . Interviewed at F&J Austin, Hayboo Fast track, V&E austin,

applied late December as well

HYS, Ivy undergrad, 3 yrs work experience in IP

Native Texan (austin)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Sent out cover letters and resumes today. Wasn't planning on applying, but I far exceeded expectations the I had for grades. Hoping I'm not too late to get a little attention.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 pm

Sounds like you should clean up. I got a very nice "thanks but no thanks" email from FJ today, but they encouraged me to apply as a 2L.
Anonymous User wrote:Sent out cover letters and resumes today. Wasn't planning on applying, but I far exceeded expectations the I had for grades. Hoping I'm not too late to get a little attention.
I don't think it's too late, seems like most/many of the places are waiting on grades to come out to make most of their decisions. I really wish my school was a little bit quicker with the grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 pm

Similar situation here--native Texan w/UT undergrad at T10, who was late getting stuff out. Grades ended up way above expectations. Ditto the HB Fast Track and under review e-mail from VE. Crickets from FJ and BB thus far--maybe I sent my apps out too late (between Christmas & New Year's) and they've silent-rejected me? Went to the Locke Lord new year's reception but haven't heard much since. OP, would you mind disclosing the time period between sending out your resume & the "under review" response from FJ/BB?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Uh...I think I heard back from FJ Dallas within hours of sending them my resume, asking me to send grades when I got them. FJ Austin said no thanks today, and I sent stuff out mostly on Thursday. I was mistaken in saying that I had heard from BB, I have not, with the exception of I think the Austin office which asked me to apply using their online system, but not until grades were out. I had some correspondence with BB Houston, but it was just about whether or not I should go ahead and apply. Haven't heard anything from BB since submitting the online application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm

From going through the application and interview process, and despite hearing from many firms that they arent making decisions until grades, I think that applying early is pretty necessary. I have not received any new interviews since December 7th despite sending out a good number of new apps

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Uh...I think I heard back from FJ Dallas within hours of sending them my resume, asking me to send grades when I got them. FJ Austin said no thanks today, and I sent stuff out mostly on Thursday. I was mistaken in saying that I had heard from BB, I have not, with the exception of I think the Austin office which asked me to apply using their online system, but not until grades were out. I had some correspondence with BB Houston, but it was just about whether or not I should go ahead and apply. Haven't heard anything from BB since submitting the online application.
Ah, makes me feel better--I only applied to FJ Houston. The Austin office's NALP page makes it look like they don't even hire 1L's...

Of course, this kind of hurts:
Anonymous User wrote:From going through the application and interview process, and despite hearing from many firms that they arent making decisions until grades, I think that applying early is pretty necessary. I have not received any new interviews since December 7th despite sending out a good number of new apps

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Not me, but I do know of a 1L at my school who has received offers at the Houston Big 3. Interviewed over winter break.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From going through the application and interview process, and despite hearing from many firms that they arent making decisions until grades, I think that applying early is pretty necessary. I have not received any new interviews since December 7th despite sending out a good number of new apps
I'm not really sure how true this is. I think it probably makes things easier, and improves your chances a little bit if you apply early, but a lot of these guys keep interviewing into February and March. Also, I think they're generally a lot more concerned with grades than with when you applied/if they have already interviewed you. The vast majority of applicants are not such that they are gonna get offers without grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not me, but I do know of a 1L at my school who has received offers at the Houston Big 3. Interviewed over winter break.
I think this is very unlikely

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not me, but I do know of a 1L at my school who has received offers at the Houston Big 3. Interviewed over winter break.
Well, I think it would depend which school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well, I think it would depend which school.
no, even then it doesnt matter. im at a HYS and from the hiring partner flat out told me about 4 other Texans from my school who he had already met with. They cant make an offer to every HYS kid so they wait for grades

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 pm

unless the posts in this thread are totally unrepresentative, it seems like TX biglaw is moving a bit slower this year than last year (compare this thread to http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=141171). any guesses why?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm

What a great thread!

V&E/Baker Botts/Bracewell/Fulbright Houston this week. Had the same firms + Andrews Kurth in Dallas last week.

Anyone heard back yet after interviews? most want grades. but it seems last year that a few firms gave out offers w/o them.

CCN, native texan here, top ivy graduate, 2+ yrs of work experience, useful language skills, URM.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:What a great thread!

V&E/Baker Botts/Bracewell/Fulbright Houston this week. Had the same last firms + Andrews Kurth in Dallas last week.

Anyone heard back yet from any firm?

CCN, native texan here, top ivy graduate, 2+ yrs of work experience, useful language skills, URM.
not yet, i think most firms are waiting for grades, even for HYS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:46 am

Interviewing with F+R Dallas this week!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:04 am

Already had my FR interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Already had my FR interview.
How did it go? Want grades?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Sent out letters December 1, supplemented with grades via email (top 1-3% of class) at SMU/UH, haven't heard anything back. Any ideas? Do I need to send my grades with an update via letter? I haven't even heard as much as a "We received your application" from FJ...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent out letters December 1, supplemented with grades via email (top 1-3% of class) at SMU/UH, haven't heard anything back. Any ideas? Do I need to send my grades with an update via letter? I haven't even heard as much as a "We received your application" from FJ...)
Congrats on the grades! I think for 1L SA positions though, most firms only use positions as a recruiting tool for the T-14 and diversity students. Thats just from what I heard from associates and from who I met while interviewing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sent out letters December 1, supplemented with grades via email (top 1-3% of class) at SMU/UH, haven't heard anything back. Any ideas? Do I need to send my grades with an update via letter? I haven't even heard as much as a "We received your application" from FJ...)
Congrats on the grades! I think for 1L SA positions though, most firms only use positions as a recruiting tool for the T-14 and diversity students. Thats just from what I heard from associates and from who I met while interviewing
That's what I figured. Hopefully 2L will be more successful! Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 pm

I know of a Houston big3 offer before grades T14. Also, last year a couple got big 3 offers in TX before grades from my T14. Get used to the crapshoot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It went excellently. They did not want my 1L grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
It went excellently. They did not want my 1L grades.
Nice! So I'm guessing you accepted the offer they were begging you to take? See you there this summer?!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”