How does this work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How does this work?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm

I am a 1L right now and am currently doing my summer job search. I have applied to numerous judges, some law firms, and I have some other possible opportunities in DC.

I received a call from a district court judge recently, and will be interviewing this week. IIRC, I've read on TLS that it is frowned upon to either turn down a judge's offer or to renege once you have accepted (I can't remember which).

So, if I get an offer from the judge (whom I would be happy working for), do I accept it, and renege if I get a better opportunity? Or, do I simply tell them my situation, and let them know I will get back to them at a later date? Or, ....?

Any advice or experience with this is appreciated.

Thanks.

LawIdiot86

Re: How does this work?

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:11 pm

If a judge offers, you ASK NICELY how long you have to think it over and if they say they want you to decide then, you accept. You don't renege and you don't TELL them you will get back to them at a later date.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:12 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:If a judge offers, you ASK NICELY how long you have to think it over and if they say they want you to decide then, you accept. You don't renege and you don't TELL them you will get back to them at a later date.

So, you accept it no matter what?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Sapientia wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:If a judge offers, you ASK NICELY how long you have to think it over and if they say they want you to decide then, you accept. You don't renege and you don't TELL them you will get back to them at a later date.

No. You ask if you may have some time to consider it. If they say "yes," you thank them, finish pleasantries, and leave. If no, you either decide to accept or decline and then thank them for taking the time to speak with you, etc.

koalatriste

Postby koalatriste » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:16 pm

1L summer employment really doesn't matter.

if you want to work for a judge (which i have heard is a good experience), then do the interview and take the offer and be done with it! BUT, if your school gives out money for non-judicial internships, then IMO it just makes more sense to work for the DOJ, DA, USAO, PI organization, etc. unless you're swimming in cash.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
Sapientia wrote:

No. You ask if you may have some time to consider it. If they say "yes," you thank them, finish pleasantries, and leave. If no, you either decide to accept or decline and then thank them for taking the time to speak with you, etc.

Ok. Common sense was telling me this is the way it is, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Sapientia wrote:

No one here can ever give you such a concrete answer as to say "no matter what." But the general rule is that if the judge extends an offer, you take it unless there is some incredibly overriding reason to say no. It is up to you to determine if there is such a reason. (I believe GTL mentioned someone who reneged on an offer because the Vice President was involved somehow. So, there you go. Vice President level. While that was for a clerkship, internships are under the same etiquette.)

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

Sapientia wrote:

Thanks. So, you accept it no matter what?

It's generally expected that if a judge offers you on the spot, especially as a 1L, you will accept it, because if you had a better offer, you would have taken it and canceled the interview with the judge. If he's nice and gives you time, then you can try to do better, but it's seen as bad form in general and extremely bad form with judges to tell them you don't think their job is good enough and you need time to try to find something better. How would you feel if a judge said "I like you and am willing to hire you, but only if the student from Harvard I'm interviewing tomorrow turns down my offer"?

I interviewed with 4 judges as a 1L, one told me I had as long as I needed through Christmas, one explicitly told me he knew I was interviewing with other judges and to try to use his offer to trade up to someone with better name recognition, one called me on my drive home from the interview and told me I had until the next day to accept, the fourth I called and withdrew when I accepted the third.

Of course you can decline on the spot if he wants a decision at that moment, but you are making the bet then that someone else will make you an offer down the road, which ITE is a fairly risky bet.

Return to “Legal Employment”