BS BioSci and IP Law - Employment Options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
columbia86

BS BioSci and IP Law - Employment Options

Postby columbia86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:36 pm

Is a BS in BioSci sufficient for patent/IP law? I have average work experience in the field (biotechnology), but no advanced degree.

Thanks.

truevines

Re: BS BioSci and IP Law - Employment Options

Postby truevines » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

columbia86 wrote:Is a BS in BioSci sufficient for patent/IP law? I have average work experience in the field (biotechnology), but no advanced degree.

Thanks.

In pre-ITE, your credentials were good for patent lit, but probably not for patent prosecution.
Not sure about ITE. All the life-science patent litigators *I know* have Ph. Ds.

Your best bet is have great law school grades and interview well.

sky7

Postby sky7 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:22 pm

Sit for the patent bar.
Mass mail firms.
Profit.

Truevines is mostly correct - life sciences usually means Ph.Ds. However, I know quite a few people who don't have graduate degrees in life sciences that haven't had much of a problem landing a prosecution gig. The secret? Cast your net widely. There will likely be boutiques that will be interested and persistent.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:16 pm

sky7 wrote:Sit for the patent bar.
Mass mail firms.
Profit.

Truevines is mostly correct - life sciences usually means Ph.Ds. However, I know quite a few people who don't have graduate degrees in life sciences that haven't had much of a problem landing a prosecution gig. The secret? Cast your net widely. There will likely be boutiques that will be interested and persistent.

Do most IP attorneys do all forms of IP law (trademark, licensing, copyright, patent, trade secret, etc) or do they generally specialize in one niche?

Thanks.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm

columbia86 wrote:
sky7 wrote:Sit for the patent bar.
Mass mail firms.
Profit.

Do most IP attorneys do all forms of IP law (trademark, licensing, copyright, patent, trade secret, etc) or do they generally specialize in one niche?

Thanks.

Some do all, and some do just Patent litigation. Some patent litigators aren't members of the patent bar so don't do prosecution. A lot of patent litigators will also do copyright/trademark/trade secret/unfair comp litigation too and general IP enforcement (c&d's). Even if you don't have a hard sci degree and youd o IP lit, there are components of patent prosecution you could help with at well. It depends on the firm and how they have the practice groups set up. A lot of firms want to be able to market their associates as patent bar eligible even if they mainly focus on lit, though.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm

truevines wrote:
columbia86 wrote:Is a BS in BioSci sufficient for patent/IP law? I have average work experience in the field (biotechnology), but no advanced degree.

Thanks.

In pre-ITE, your credentials were good for patent lit, but probably not for patent prosecution.
Not sure about ITE. All the life-science patent litigators *I know* have Ph. Ds.

Your best bet is have great law school grades and interview well.

I know someone who has a SA IP lit job with a top firm for this summer with only a Bio BS + WE (but that person had great 1L grades).

Julio_El_Chavo

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

You're going to need great 1L grades to get IP lit with any degree.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:16 pm

--LinkRemoved--

maybe not.

Agent

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 am

More info needed.

Return to “Legal Employment”